Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Isaiah 41:10

Have you ever been scared? I don’t mean like the initial rush that comes from a close call in the grocery store parking lot or during a movie-I mean really scared. I mean the kind of fear that gnaws at you and wakes you up in the middle of the night. It’s a palpable kind that sits on your chest and pokes you in the middle of your forehead to let you know that it hasn’t gone away.

It’s hard to deal with, isn’t it? It’s hard to imagine how you are going to make it. And the maddening part is that you KNOW that you KNOW that you KNOW that God has not left you hanging high and dry. You know He’s still there, still watching over you.

We’re human, though. No matter what has happened in our life and all the changes and everything we have undergone, underneath it all we are still human. We can’t help the feelings. We can’t help the fear we feel when the situation seems to be all around us, crushing us and those we love.

This is kind of a bummer, huh? “Where is the silver lining, Bo? Come on, gimme something uplifting!” There is a taboo in some circles against being empathetic and telling someone, “It’s okay, I know you are scared.” We want to dress them down and say, “Stand up! Be an adult! Things like this happen! Just buckle down little soldier and everything will be alright!”

Does that help? Most certainly NOT! We have been talking recently and one phrase always seems to come back to my mind. We want mercy for ourselves, and justice for everyone else. I say that because we want understanding for our problems, but when it’s someone else’s turn, we are too busy or too this or that to care.

But here’s a novel idea, let’s go back to the Word of God that we are hiding in our hearts. What is fear? It is an emotion. It’s a thought that God is not going to do what He said He would do for us. Fear is a huge demon standing over us, making us look like grasshoppers in the land. But you know what, that demon isn’t as big as it looks. It’s a HUGE balloon that has been blown up and is menacingly looming over your head, casting a shadow over all that you try and do for God.

Isaiah 41:10- “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

Hmmm? What’s that God says? “FEAR NOT…”

Well, God you don’t understand, I know that you said you’d take care of this but….FEAR NOT!

But God, it’s just that this (insert your fear here) is worse than anything I have ever gone through and…..FEAR NOT!

God, I know I should trust in You, but…FEAR NOT!

But God, do you see how big this thing is? Do you see how large it is? I look like a little ant compared to…FEAR NOT!

So you turn to God, and you take your eyes off the situations going on around you. And He breathes on you, and hugs you and stops your shaking.

Then He turns you back around, and says, “Look at your fear now.” And you look at the huge hulking demon that was licking its chops and grinning at you. And God presses something into your hand.

It’s a pin.

Hmmm…that demon’s grin isn’t quite so menacing now, is it? And why is it suddenly backing away from you?

Be blessed in the Lord,

Bo J.

No comments: