Monday, April 24, 2006

2 Samuel 22:31

I'm sorry about missing last week. I had an eye doctor appointment, and I was tested and tested and tested. Suffice it to say, I felt like I was looking through Vaseline all day. My vision didn't clear up until late that Monday evening, just before I went to bed. And then, as I have told you before, if I don't get this out on Monday, the enemy does everything he can to make sure I don't get it out at all. But it's okay, because my God is still on the throne, and He is still the Alpha and the Omega!
Once again, I had an idea, and God quashed it. Maybe the one I had previously written will be able to come out another day. This one is going along with the current sermon series. Thanks to our pastoral staff for their dedication to teaching us the Word of God and its truth; equipping us to go into battle daily. Please take this series seriously (sorry for the alliteration there!); there is a lot at stake. Take what you learn in big church, and expound on it in your small group. My small group leaders know how I am about time in the Word, so I am giving them fair warning...I'm coming to learn!
We need to uplift each other and keep each other accountable. Besides God, we are all each other has, and the world is working against us. I love you all and pray that you are blessed today.
Bo J.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who are you?

It’s not hard. They are just three little words, followed by a punctuation mark.

Okay, after all that we have been going through, most of you know me by now. You know the answer I am searching. But if I had asked you a year ago, or 3 or 5 years ago, your answer would probably have been the same as mine.

“Hi, I’m Bo Jackson, and I’m an Environmental Health and Safety Technician, or RadCon tech, or whatever it is that I do for a job.”

What is it about us that we have to get our identity and worth from the WORLD? We have all kinds of magazines and books and devotionals and written knowledge out there telling us who we are and to Whom we belong.

Why do we need all this? Are we like the Israelites, a stiff-necked and obstinate people? Maybe; it's not exactly out of the realm of possibilities. There is a multi-billion dollar market of material generated by people who want to tell you who you ARE.

I hate reading. Actually, I should narrow that down to specifics. I hate reading books about being and doing and having and becoming and just generally telling me more about how to be a Christ-follower.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with those books. I am just saying that I hate reading someone else’s version of who I am and to Who I belong. Some of you are there now, but I am not just yet.

That’s kind of funny, considering how many people read this note I put out each week. I know, I think about that and go, “Hypocrite!”

But here we are, at it again. You are here, and I am passing on something that God has shown me, and you are just along for the ride. But, guess what? You’re getting gypped. You're getting ripped off; robbed blind.

How? Because you ALREADY know who you are and to Whom you belong. But like me, sometimes we need it reinforced in our gray matter.

2 Samuel 22:31- “As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.” (NKJV)

God’s word tells me several things about Him:

He is perfect. There is NO wrong or unrighteousness in Him.

His Word is true. It too, is perfect. It is inerrant, infallible, and incapable of falsehood.

He is MY protector. I trust in Him, and He is my shield.

Notice it doesn’t say He is a shield to all those who FEEL like trusting in Him. I will be the first to admit that I don’t FEEL like a Christian a lot of days. Some days I don’t feel like I am doing God justice for what He has done for me. But it’s okay, because He still loves me and protects me.

If someone tells me something they attribute to Scripture, I ask them to tell me where they found it, so I can search it out for myself. That’s why I try and base these letters to you on Scripture; so you can go straight to the Word of God itself and see what He says about you.

Don’t believe me; I am human and fallible. Believe on the Word of God and it’s description of you. Believe in who God says you are and what He says about you. Don’t be driven and tossed about by every wind of doctrine that comes on the breeze. Compare it to your love letter from God, and see what He says.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: