Monday, April 10, 2006

2 Timothy 1:7

Okay, let me preface this by telling you all something, I have really seen God move in this area of my life. Becky normally proofreads my devotional prior to me sending it out. When she read this one, she really gave me a uplift. You see, I was working on Saturday night (shift was scheduled to be from 5pm-3am) and I didn't get to go to church. I also didn't go on Sunday (don't stone me!), I wuz still a little zonked. Anyway, after proofing the devotional, she described for me Pastor Chris' sermon. And I realize that, for two weeks in a row now, God has spoken and used me to go over something we were getting ready to learn CORPORATELY.

What I mean is, I wrote this piece a full week before the sermon was preached. I tell you this, not to brag or boast. God is using me, and it's scary. When you see yourself getting used, you need to realize that God has placed more responsibility on your shoulders. Help me to stay focused on His messages for us all.

God is moving. God is manifesting in our church. God is showing His power, His love, and His glory and we need to stay strong in it and be available for use. Don't be jealous of what I'm doing, and neglect the gift that God has given you to use. Everyone has a place in the kingdom, FIND YOURS and get in the battle. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hold on a second, I’m making sure that my list is up to date.

Financial problems?

Check.

Family problems?

Check.

Health problems?

Check.

Church under attack?

Check.

Yep, they’re all there. Everything is in order. My life is officially going into chaos mode now. Whew! That’s a relief! I didn’t know what was going on!

It’s kind of funny, isn’t it? But it’s the truth. We have an enemy who loves to create havoc in our lives. You know, we always take it personally when the enemy comes into our lives looking for something to devour in us. However, we usually end up being the ones who open the door and let him in.

So what is going on? What is the big deal? Why all the stuff? I’ll tell you what I think is going on in a word…

Fear.

You create fear in one person, and you disable them. Create enough fear and you immobilize that person, effectively removing that obstacle from your path. Dads do that to prospective boyfriends all the time. You know, it’s the old “sit out on the front stoop cleaning your shotgun when he shows up” syndrome.

But if you create fear in enough people, you cause a panic. They begin running and stampeding. But, worse yet, we sometimes don’t realize we are on the run until it’s too late. By then, irreparable harm could be done.

Do you sense a tide moving? Do you sense a huge upwelling of anger and absolute hate being unloaded against us, the house of God? It’s not your imagination. It’s not something you can just retreat from by hiding your head in the sand.

The church has done that for WAY too long. We have become comfortable with the status quo. We are filled and warmed, and so it’s just a bit more comfortable to stay indoors, instead of going out into the world and bringing in the harvest.

Fear.

It’s so small, yet so powerful. So what do you do? How do you combat fear?

Pray.

“But wait, Bo. You don’t understand what’s going on in my life right now.”

Yes, I do. I most certainly do. What we are going through; what is happening in our lives DOES NOT negate the fact of Who our God is.

2 Tim 1:7- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

Read that again, slowly.

What did God give us?

So, if God gives us power, love, and a sound mind, where does fear come from?

Oh, we do things to allow the fear in, but it’s not a punishment from God. It’s a function of the sowing and reaping concept. You get what you plant.

We have POWER. We can LOVE. And God has given us a SOUND mind, a PEACE about Him and what His purpose is in our lives.

We have a choice about how we approach the coming days. But don’t do it on your knees, groveling to a god who is indifferent to your suffering. Instead, stir yourself up to approach the LORD boldly, respectfully, and reverently.

Come to throne of grace, where we can find mercy, and help in our hour of need. God is still there, and He is still waiting. He has loads of stuff to give us, if we just ask and receive.

The battle is not ours, but the Lord’s. Don’t give up. Don’t give in. If you fall, get up. You’re only a casualty if you stay down.

Let’s get in there, and stay until the end.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: