Monday, April 03, 2006

Psalm 5:12

That storm last night was pretty intense, wasn’t it? Thunder, lighting, rain, hail, the works came at us. It was neat to listen to the sounds. I would love to have a house with a tin roof with the rain, just to hear the patter.



Our family used to live in Washington State, and that was one of the things we used to love. People asked us why we liked it so much, since it rained there all the time. We told them one of two things:



1. It doesn’t rain there as much as you think. We tell you that to keep you from coming there.

2. It only rains from September to August.


You know what I really liked about that storm last night? It was scary. I mean it was SKEERY for my little ones. Now wait, before you start trying to call me names, or accuse me of being a mean father, gimme a minute.



The rain was lashing against the house, the lighting flashes lit up the sky like it was daytime. The thunder was so powerful, it shook the house. Now my two youngest ones (9 and 7) KNOW that it’s simply a storm, a force of nature. They know all the stuff about what happens and why. We have even told them to envision that it’s God speaking to them.



Nope. No dice. Sometimes, a storm is just scary beyond rational thought.



So my wife and are listening to the storm, and I voice the thought that both of us have, “Do you think the girls are alright?” She tells me that she was going to ask me the same question. So, I go into their room and I check on them.



The youngest is on the top bunk, hunkered down deep under her covers, pillow covering her head. When I reached to move the pillow, she screamed, “Stop it!” I moved the pillow so she could see it was me. The nine year old was lying in her bed, making a good show at being brave.



I asked them if they were okay. They answered that they were, voices trembling. I then looked at each one of them, one at a time, and said, “Are you scared?” They both looked at me, and said yes. I told them to come on down and they could sleep with me and Mom.



There is nothing like a storm to make you realize the blessing of a king-size bed.



So here we all are, bodies, blankies, stuffed animal, pillows, pets (yes, even the cats were scared), the whole kit and caboodle. And all of a sudden, the trembling and the terror were gone. They had wrapped themselves in our blankets, in our arms, and all the terror and everything was gone. The storm still raged, but they were okay, because they knew that we were there, and would protect them.



You see where this is going, don’t you?



What is the weather like in your life right now? Are you having a beautiful spring day? Or maybe it’s partly cloudy? Perhaps you're having a small rain shower to dampen the flowers? Or are you having a full fledged, dyed in the wool, category 8 storm of life right now?



Did you know that God is waiting for you? I like to think that at times in our life that mirror that storm last night, God is waiting. A dream came to me, in the midst of all the people/animals/toys in my bed.



God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are talking. They get a daily weather report. The report shows severe weather headed toward me and my family. They take the report and look at it.



“You think they’ll be alright?” God says.



“I was about to ask You the same thing,” replies Jesus.



“Maybe We should go check on them,” the Holy Spirit offers.



So they come in to check on me and my family. And there we are, crouched beneath the sheets, trembling. We are rebuking, and praying, and bringing every thought captive that we can, but sometimes it just doesn’t seem to be enough. And then, a face peeks under the covers…



“You okay?” He asks. We manage to shake our heads no.



“Why don’t you come out here and sit with Us for a while?” God replies. And we come out, and climb into God’s lap. The Holy Spirit breathes peace into us, and Jesus says, “I’ll be right back, I’m going to go and quiet this storm down for you.”



Psalm 5:12- “For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield.”



Sometimes, the storms of life become too much for you to bear. You know that you know that you know that you have power, but it doesn’t really seem to help. Call on your Heavenly Father, tell Him you’re scared, and crawl up in His lap. Let His love overshadow you and surround you.



There now, that storm’s not so bad now, is it? It’s still going on around you, but you know that you know that you know that you’re protected.



Let it rain.



Be blessed in the Lord,



Bo J.

No comments: