Monday, June 05, 2006

1 Chronicles 16:25

Have you ever found yourself to be just a little irreverent when dealing with God? Have you ever found yourself approaching God with an attitude not exactly in line with Who He is?

We have songs that tell us that God is our friend. He tells us in His Word that we are no longer servants but heirs and friends. We learn that when we accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior, we are no longer enemies of God. God tells us to address Him physically as we would talk to a visible friend.

That is fine. However, we should NEVER forget that, no matter how we slice it up, we are STILL talking to God, the Creator of the Universe. We are still conversing with the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. He is God, and we are still a created being. He owes us NOTHING, and we owe him EVERYTHING.

We have a tendency to fall into the trap of talking to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit EXACTLY as we do a friend. Moreover, we try to take advantage of friends and play on their feelings for us. With God, it is different; He knows us better than we know ourselves, and we cannot manipulate Him.

What drives us to act this way? Why do we think we can talk to God as we do a small child sometime? In my opinion, it is because we are in the mindset that God is ours to use like some cosmic ATM.

Please do not get offended by this analogy. Look at it in your own life. During times in your life, you will find yourself coasting along. Things are going pretty well, and you can wake up one day and realize that you have not been spending quite as much time with God as you ought.

You find that you are using more excuses to get out of being with Him, of growing in intimacy. “Oh, You know already that I love you God. I’ll spend time with You later. I really want to watch this special on TV.” “God, you created me, you know how I am. You’ll just have to wait until I get this under control, and then I’ll spend some real quality time with You.”

What about when you don’t get something you thought you needed? That is when I really notice how I feel and respect God and my position with Him. We feel like this is in our best interests, and we will submit to God’s will, as long as it lines up with what we feel we need.

1 Chronicles 16:25- “For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised; He is also to be feared above all gods.”

Do you know what a god is? It is an idol substituted for Almighty God, Jehovah. In addition, it’s ANYTHING that stands in the way of you worshipping and adoring your Lord.

Your God could be money, power, prestige, a new home or car or your family-anything that interferes with your first priority-glorifying God through our lives.

We don’t fear God enough. We have become comfortable. We know that God said He would return for His followers, we just think that we will have some prior notice, so we can “straighten our act out” before He arrives. We know that He is coming, but we don’t have the urgency because we have KNOWN He is coming for so many years.

I need to get back to the center, back to where it all started. I need to remember that the Lord is great, and He is worthy of my praise. He is NOT worthy of my ire, or my insolence, or out and out rebellion. He has saved me from everlasting damnation and I need to remember that when I approach Him.

I would like to remind you that we are to approach Him as a friend, but primarily, as God and Lord. Do not be slipshod in how you treat Him. As the song says, “I’m coming back to the heart of worship; where it’s all about You; all about You, Jesus.” If you have lost your First Love, go back and find Him.

He never left.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: