Monday, June 12, 2006

Hebrews 13:17

I am not really happy with the way things are going lately.

Let’s see, I don’t like the situation in Iraq. I don’t like that fellow service members are dying for something I don’t agree with or understand. I think it’s wrong and the President was wrong to involve us in the affairs of a sovereign nation.

Now look, gasoline prices have almost doubled in the last couple of years. Our standing in the world is shot, and we are seen as a bunch of bullies.

Plus, I don’t like the leadership in our state. I think that the Governor should re-evaluate the state income tax as opposed to taxing our foodstuffs to the hilt. And don’t get me started on the Tennessee Waltz scandal or the current situation with the Knox County charter.

What about the church? Don’t our leaders and senior pastors need to think through some things about the direction of the church? I mean, moving to one Wednesday night a month, and Kidstuff being all month long as well. Thank goodness it’s done for the summer.

And another thing……..

Okay.

Wait.

Before you turn me off, keep reading.

God has placed leadership over us. We have authority, and we are under authority. It’s up to us to recognize and submit ourselves to authority, and in turn exercise our authority wisely.

I am NOT; I repeat NOT making a political statement with this message. I wrote the earlier remarks because we all have either voiced them, or heard them voiced around us.

Hebrews 13:17- “Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.”

We have a choice with the current standings in the world around us. We can either: (1) Gripe, moan, and generally complain about the state of the world; or (2) Change the world.

I hear it now. “Okay Bo, how do we change the world?”

Prayer.

It’s that simple.

When is the last time you really PRAYED for our leaders? Not that they would be defeated or removed from office; but that they would have the unction of the Holy Spirit placed on their life? Have you prayed to have them truly filled and connected with God in such a way that they would follow Jesus’ command, and serve others first?

There’s an old saying about pastors-if you want a new pastor, pray for the one you have now.

If we need a change in leadership in this country, we are going to have to lead by example. We are going to have to pave the road to change with prayer, and not with complaining.

Pray. Vote (if you can). Trust in God and the leadership He has placed over us.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: