Monday, July 31, 2006

1 Corinthians 10:13

“Everyone does it, and they haven’t had any problems…”

“Well, what was I supposed to do? It’s sitting right there in front of me…”

“I couldn’t help myself…”

“Well, God made it; so that makes it okay, right?”

“The devil made me do it.”

Temptation.

It comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and voices. It is something that is all around us and permeates our daily life. We have all kinds of excuses like those listed above, and a thousand others. We use smokescreens and slight of hand trying to justify our own desires and wants.

But in the end, it’s all just smoke and mirrors. God said that we would be tempted. He said that times would come that would test our mettle; test our devotion to Him and His word.

1 Corinthians 10:13- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.”

What does that mean to you? To me, it means that sometimes, God removes the hedge. Sometimes, God allows us to be tempted; and it is not our right to question why. (Read Job to see that.)

We need to just have faith and trust in Him and His word. We need to remember that He loves us deeply and would never, ever, EVER do anything to hurt us. He is perfect, and He seeks our perfection.

Temptation comes along, and instead of confronting it with the Word (as Jesus did in the desert), we want to fight it tooth and nail. We want to make war with it and wrestle it to the ground. There’s an old saying, “If you wrestle with a pig, both of you will get dirty and the pig likes it.”

When we wrestle our temptations, the enemy likes it. I think it’s because it takes our eyes off the prize. We forget our purpose and Whose child we really are.

What are you wrestling with today? I’m wrestling with my job. I’m wrestling with my wife’s illness. I need to step back and glorify Him and what He has done in my life to make me stronger, instead of whining and crying and complaining.

What about you? What temptation have you not spoken words of life to today? What in your life has taken the focus off of God? Put your life in perspective, and re-align your priorities. Put Him back into the center. Come back to heart of worship; remember your first love.

Be blessed in the Lord,

Bo J.

No comments: