Tuesday, July 11, 2006

1 John 1:9

What is the first thing you think of when you see/hear the word “sin”? Most of us will immediately begin seeing things in our own lives, and rationalizing those things out as NOT sin. We will begin to grade our lives and compare ourselves to those around us. It’s then that we begin to look down on others, and be like the Pharisee who entered the temple and looked down on the tax collector.

I realize that this is going to be somewhat controversial, but here it goes; we ALL sin.

We can rationalize it; we can minimize it; we can explain it away however we want. But the bottom line is we all sin. (Look at 1 John 1:8). I believe that we all sin, but after salvation, I don’t live in the sin LIFESTYLE which I did before I was saved.

You see, we sometimes get caught up in the trap of using our own value and judgment system for sin. We “grade” sin, and say that we are okay because we are not doing this or that.

God never said that there was a system in place like the one we use. He stated that there is sin, and there is righteousness, period. No gray line, no ambiguity. Sin is sin is sin.

So what do we do then, if we all occasionally sin, as the Bible says we are wont to do? What do I do when I find myself having done something which I know is wrong? REPENT.

Yes, it’s just that simple. Repent, and turn away from it. Realize that you are human (still), and still learning this thing called walking with Christ.

1 John 1:9- “IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

In verse 8, you are told that it is foolish to think that you do not sin. In verse 9, we are told to confess our sins. Not to make excuses for them.

Don’t get caught up with looking at those around you. Don’t compare yourself with them, and think, “I wish I could be as righteous as him/her.” It’s a trap; a lie of the enemy. Everyone has their own thing to deal with; the enemy just wants you to BELIEVE you are alone in it.

Don’t embrace a sinning lifestyle, either. Don’t think that salvation gives you free will to just do whatever you want with impunity. Consider your actions; and if/when, you do sin, repent. Don’t wallow in it, just give it over to God, and be done with it. And the next time a similar situation comes, you can stand strong.

I say this to encourage you in your walk. Have faith in God, He will see you through. I am no better than anyone reading this letter; but I am saved, and I have hope. It’s better than having none at all.

Be blessed in the Lord,
Bo J.

No comments: