Monday, August 21, 2006

Hebrews 13:5

Do you know the story about the man living in a town where it flooded greatly? As the floodwaters came, he climbed up to his rooftop. He prayed mightily, asking the Lord to send him help. The story varies, but three methods of rescue arrived at separate times. Each time, the man told them, “NO! I’m waiting on God to rescue me!”

Sounds dumb, doesn’t it?

So I’ve been praying to God about my job. I really dislike where I work. I know, I know, we can’t all win the lottery. It’s just all the intangibles that go on; it makes it so hard some days to even come in. I dislike being there for my 40 hours; imagine how I felt working overtime last week. But I promised my wife that if it came my way, I would work, because we can really use the money to pay off some old bills from our time on the road.

I had three separate incidents each evening that I worked. And each came from people that I didn’t consider great spiritual advisers. I wouldn’t even hazard a guess that these people could have helped me to discover a truth about God, based on the way they lived their lives.

God is like that, though. He takes something you would not consider, and opens the world to you.

So, I worked over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. And each day, I learned from someone that you have a choice to make about contentment. One friend told me that if I feel like I’m stuck here, that I will never make it. He told me not to feel marooned, but to feel like I made a better choice. I chose to do the best thing for me and my family.

Saturday and Sunday, I learned that the grass is not always necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. I learned that if God wants me on that side, He will provide a gate. I don’t have to keep trying to jump over it, and thinking that I have missed something.

Hebrews 13:5- “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you. ‘”

He said Himself that He has never left me. Just because I am not the poster child I feel I should be for God’s children, doesn’t mean that He has abandoned me.

As I said earlier, the people who helped me to these realizations are not necessarily ones you would look at as having that kind of wisdom. But I thanked each of them for reminding me that God did not put me at my workplace to be miserable. He placed me there to be a witness.

You are where you are at this time to be a witness. For my students at your individual schools, or my adult friends at your workplace, we all are called to be witnesses.

What is God telling you? What wisdom is He trying to speak into your life? I’ll tell you one thing, God is speaking to you, whether you believe it or not. He is trying to get you to listen to Him.

Oh, and one more thing. Don’t let the look of the messenger throw you off. If you think God won’t speak through someone unexpected, remember the story about Balaam and the donkey (Numbers 22). If God will use a donkey to speak to someone, He’ll pretty much use anyone as far as I’m concerned.

Be blessed in the Lord,


Bo J.

No comments: