Monday, August 28, 2006

Proverbs 1:7

Proverbs 1:7- “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Who are you and what do you do?

In the context of this e-mail, most of you are going to tell me that you are a child of God, and your job is to spread the Good News of the gospel.

What about when you close it up? What happens when you go back out into the world? I’ll tell you what happens to most of us; we back off. The fire goes out.

One of my favorite worship songs is “Undignified”. Most of you probably know it.

“I will dance, I will sing, to be mad for my King,
Nothing Lord is hindering, this passion in my soul.”

But stuff is hindering our passion, isn’t it? We can sing about being passionate, but when the rubber meets the road it’s a different story.

We had Mark Cahill speak at our church this past weekend. If you don’t know him, he is a powerful speaker and an on-fire evangelist. He is all about spreading God’s word to a lost and dying world. He is passionate about it.

“I will dance, I will sing, to be mad for my King,
Nothing Lord is hindering, this passion in my soul.”

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday with a friend of mine. I had a pocket full of cards I was going to give out to the Family Fun Night we are having at our church. I was ready.

And then, I got there.

Do you know how much easier it is in your mind to do something, than to actually go out in the world and do it? See, in your mind, the conditions are perfect, and no one looks at you like you have leprosy. They don’t act like you are trying to take something from them, or sell them the newest craze on the market.

“And I’ll become even more undignified than this,
Some may say its foolishness.
And I’ll become even more undignified than this,
Leave my pride by my side.”

It’s out of my comfort zone. Oh, I can bare myself in this e-mail, to some of you that I barely know. I can and intend to pass them out at work. But to just go somewhere like that, and pass them out to COMPLETE AND TOTAL STRANGERS, that was scary.

But it’s about getting people in to our group going to Heaven.

See, I know God. I have my fear of God already in place. I’m not scared of Him, but I am in awe of Him. I hold my proper respect of Him and know my place next to the Creator of all mankind.

But a lot of the people I saw at Wal-Mart, they may not be in our group. They may face a judgmental, righteous God and go to Hell for their sins. And I had a ticket in my pocket to start them on the road to meet their salvation.

The first one I handed out was really hard. The next was harder. By the third one, I promise, I literally heard the devil yelling at me telling me to stop because these people were going to go management and tell them I was harassing people.

The next ones were couples who I would just walk by and they would say hello, and I would say hi back. And then I would hand them a card and invite them.

Then I started focusing on the families I saw. I would give them to parents and kids who were walking around, doing their Sunday shopping. Those were easier to give out. The voice in my head wasn’t as loud; or maybe I was just not paying that much attention to it.

I gave out a lot less than I had hoped, but more than the devil wanted me to give. Some of them may show up. I hope to see them, and then discuss with them what will happen after the day is over; after everything is over.

I want them to know my God. If I don’t tell them about Him, they may not have a chance to get to know Him. So don’t be scared. Don’t let the people around us go without knowledge and awe of God. Don’t let any “fools” be left alone. They need to know that we are going to pour out the good news of the gospel into their life whenever we get the chance.

Come on, let’s get a little undignified.

Be blessed in the Lord,


Bo J.

No comments: