Monday, September 11, 2006

Memory verse

Character is what you are in the dark.

Do you know what that means? It means that character is a virtue or trait that comes out of you when no one is looking or when you THINK no one is around.

Character is integrity, honor, sacrifice, and a whole lot of other things rolled into one word. It is something that you have, and something you exhibit.

I usually don’t do this, but I am specifically directing this one at the high school ministry, especially our students. Each one of you has a mission and a goal to see that those who are lost and dying around you come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

How do I know? Simple, a LOT of you told me, or another small group leader. You make these big pleas and speeches about how you want your friend’s lives to be changed by Jesus Christ.

How about yours? How about showing them through your life? (Now adults don’t look down your collective noses at the youth, either. We have REALLY dropped the ball when it comes to character at times, haven’t we? So don’t just tune out until the verse comes up.)

So students, what do your friends see when they look at you? “Well Bo, I talk to them and try and get them to come to church and they just won’t come! I don’t know why they won’t listen to me!”

I’ve got some news for you, and some of you won’t like it. I fully believe that I may make some people mad with this like never before. But it MUST be said, for we are in the last days. We are seeing the throes of what must happen before Jesus shows up one day for His Bride, the Church. And we MUST be ready.

So anyway, as I was saying; I know why your friends aren’t listening. Do you want to know?

MySpace, Xanga, Facebook; whatever else is out there. Go and take a look.

“Oh that is just great, Bo! You’re just going to beat up on us because we have a __________ page!” Nope, it’s quite the contrary. I am going to take you task for the PICTURE you present to the people who come to your page and visit. I am taking you to task for the things people see/hear/do when they come to your page(s). I am taking you to task for the things your friends see when they are with you, and your small group leader is not there.

What do your friends see when they come to your pages? What do your pages represent to them? I have a MySpace, it’s located at http://www.myspace.com/dabigdogbo . (At least for now I do. I don’t know if I’ll be keeping it.) Go there if you want. I’m not ashamed. I try and present a positive message and something that connects me to the youth I am trying to be a friend and a mentor with.

If there is something there that would cause someone to stumble, I would take it off-IMMEDIATELY! I wouldn’t want one of the students to get something bad from me, because that would be my fault for leading them astray. (I know that some of you are going to go to my page now, and critique every little thing. That’s okay, as long as you are doing it IN LOVE!!!!)

It’s all about what you want people to know. I want them to know that Jesus has changed my life. He is the ultimate Rock. He is the Foundation that I need to build my life upon.

We are going to take a test, now. But don’t worry, there are multiple choices. You know, you get more than one answer. You can pick anyone you would like to choose.

1 Peter 1:16- “ …because it is written, ‘Be holy for I am holy.’”

Leviticus 11:44-“For I am the LORD your God. You shall therefore consecrate yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I am holy. Neither shall you defile yourselves with any creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Leviticus 11:45-“For I am the LORD who brings you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God. You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.”

Leviticus 19:2-“Speak to all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy.’”


Pick one. I don’t care which one. And then, look at your life. Are you holy, as the LORD your God has set you apart to be holy? Are you?

God has called us to a holy life. A lot of you students have a calling on your life to reach out to those who are around you. How you do it is completely up to you. But, how you do it DIRECTLY affects how successful you are going to be in the long run.

One last thing, if anyone is still here. This is not an indictment of the internet, MySpace, Xanga, or anyplace else. These things are like anything else; they are tools. A tool can do NOTHING on its own. It can only be used by someone in one of two ways-the right one, or the wrong one.

Don’t take from this that I think these sites are bad. But be careful what you put out there for general consumption by the masses. Remember Who called you out of the darkness into the light.

I’m sorry this is so long, but I felt it needed to be said. I hope you take it with the love which was intended.

Be blessed in the Lord,

Bo J.

No comments: