Monday, October 23, 2006

Deuteronomy 10:12-13

Sometimes, this blank page is frightening. I sit here, with absolutely nothing to write. I have no idea where to start. I try and think of where to pull something from, and I haven’t the foggiest idea of where to start. It’s absolutely overwhelming.

I’ve been reading about Moses, and the children of Israel. If you’ve never read that, I suggest that you take some time and go through the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible, written by Moses). He was one powerful man; but he also was kind of overwhelmed.

God’s chosen people, the ones He had revealed Himself to through all manner of miracles, signs and wonders were, for lack of a better term, knuckleheads. They had a clear path before them, laid out by the God of all the universe and they got overwhelmed at every turn. They lost sight of Who they were following, and Who released them from Pharaoh’s grip.

I would like to think that sometimes, when the people were the most obstinate, the most ornery, that Moses would just not know quite what to do about them. The Bible shows that he got so frustrated with their selfish, stiff necked attitude.

I realize that I seem to be drifting here. But in my head all this fits together. Moses took a lot of their complaining to heart, and that showed in his fit of rebellion at Kadesh, during the exodus (Numbers 20). He was fed up with the people and their rebellious, whiny ways. Moses got angry, because he couldn’t understand WHY the people were so obstinate toward their God.

He was instructed to speak to a rock, in the name of the LORD, and bring forth water. He was told specifically what to do.

He hit it. Hard. Twice.

Now, don’t get me wrong; in his place I would have done the same thing. I would have probably accidentally knocked someone in the head as well. And look what it got him; he was denied access to the Promised Land he had been leading the people toward.

Bo, is there a point?

Yes, but I don’t think this is for anyone here. Sometimes, it’s just about following and doing. Sometimes it’s just about realizing that, no matter what, God is God is God and nothing or no one is going to change it. Sometimes, it’s just about doing what God says, and not worrying about if it makes sense. Sometimes it just means not letting your emotions get in the way.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13-“And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good?”


God tells me to fear (respect; worship; hold in reverent awe) Him; to walk in the path He has set for me, and to keep His commandments because they are good for me.

So, I gave you this whole big story, to tell you this; it’s not about me having something I think is meaningful to tell you. Sometimes, it’s just about me telling you that God just wants me to continue doing this. He wants me to continue to walk this road with Him, doing what He tells me to do and not to worry about what any of you think.

Sometimes, you’ll get it. Sometimes someone else will. Sometimes, you’re just along for the ride. But God is faithful, and He can and will give you something for your time.

I’m not equating any of you with the Israelites. I’m telling you that sometimes, I’m just instructed to do this, to show you that confusion can reign in all of us. We all have a point, I think, where we wonder what it is about the cloud and the pillar of fire that is not making an impression.

Keep going; keep plugging along the path God has set out for you. That’s your only job. The rest of it is on Him. As the bombing group leader from the movie Star Wars said, “Stay on target.”

If I could give you anything from this, it would be the plea to stay tight with God. IF you do what He says, when He says, how He says, you will zero in on truth in your life. So I think, instead of knocking my head against the wall in frustration at what I can’t tell you; I’ll just continue to tell you what I can.

Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: