Monday, November 06, 2006

Joshua 24:15

Who do we serve? A more important question at this time may be who do YOU serve? Do you serve a god of stone, wood, or metal? Do you serve a god of money, power, and greed? Or do you serve a God of limitless compassion, mercy, grace, and peace? Who do you serve?

If you listen to or read the news this week, you know this question is coming into sharp focus. I really believe that with this election year, and everything else occurring we are at a crossroads in our country’s history.

The story of the evangelical leader allegedly falling into sexual immorality mirrors the downturn of our society. It shines the light onto our mission and mission field. Many will look on this as an indicator of failure of Christians to live up to the standards God has set for us. They will see it as one more reason for them NOT to accept God as their Savior. I mean, after all, we (Christians) are no different than the lost, are we?

But is that true? What sets us apart? What is our driving force and passion?

Last night, I was with a group of freshman boys in small group. It was particularly trying at one point, and I asked them a question I have asked my own small group. Why are you here? What are doing at this service tonight?

I got the pat answer, “Learn about God, grow closer to Him…” blah, blah, blah. My boys will tell you, don’t blow smoke. When I ask in small group, I expect honesty, not what you think I want to hear. It was interesting to hear their answers.

So, I’ll ask you-why are you here? What is it that you are doing? Who are you doing it for? Are you doing it for the man God has elevated to leadership over you local fellowship of believers, or are you doing it for God Himself?

I’ll tell you this, I love Pastor Chris Stephens. I love the way he interacts with the members, and how he has a heart for his ministry. I love the High School Ministry. And I love the students. But I don’t do what I do there, or here, because of my love for him.

I do it because of my love for Him.

Joshua 24:15-“And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. BUT AS FOR ME AND MY HOUSE, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.” (The emphasis here is mine.)

I don’t do what I do for Pastor Chris, because if the truth is told, he is only a man. I do what I do because of He who died for my sins and rose again. (Don’t tell Chris, he still thinks he’s Super Pastor…I don’t want to hurt his feelings.)

If you are crushed because a man of God falls, it’s okay. We are supposed to hurt when others hurt. But don’t let it dissuade you from your service. Don’t let another human determine if or how you will serve the Living God.

Last night, Larry Llanusa said something that really struck me. He basically said that we need to be careful about using someone else as a crutch or a reason for our NOT serving. We need to determine that we serve a mighty, awesome God. We need to examine our lives if one person can turn us aside from doing what God has called us to do.

Many of you reading this may or may not be doing anything to serve God. Why not? I can get mad, upset, crazy, or angry about it. I can even say, “Well God, if they are not going to serve, why should I?”

Or, I can remember that as for me and my house, I choose to serve the Lord. I can make a conscious decision to do what God has not only empowered me to do, but given me a heart to do, and do it to the best of my abilities.

In football, there are a lot more people on the team than play in a game situation normally. Some are there, and they never see an active play in a game their entire career. It doesn’t mean that they aren’t on the team, or that they don’t play a role.

They have a choice as to how they take what they have been dealt. They can either make the best of it, and realize they are on a team; or moan their fate and make everyone around them miserable.

You’re on the team, if you’ve accepted Christ. You have a part to play in the game. Some have big parts, so have not so big parts. But if everyone who has a part plays, the whole team wins.

Who do you serve? Why do you serve? Think about it hard. It could be the biggest decision you make in your life next to accepting Christ.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: