Monday, November 20, 2006

Matthew 11:29-30

Why is there a disconnection between what we KNOW and what we DO? Why is it so much easier to “talk the talk” than to “walk the walk”? You know what I mean don’t you? Let’s get honest about this day to day Christian walk just for a minute.

We all know what we should do; how we should be toward each other and toward those on the outside. We know we are called to be salt and light. We are called to be a guidepost for those who are in the darkness; to lead them to Jesus.

Why can we watch people dying all around us, and not be fazed by it? Why can see those who are looking for something that we KNOW we have, and hide it under a basket? How come we can go to church and strut and do all manner of things in front of the people, but we cannot make a simple sacrifice for a God who sacrificed His own Son to bring us back into reconciliation with Him?

Why can’t I just do it?

Who am I kidding, right? I’ve got it all together, don’t I? I’ve got this wonderful ministry with the verses; I’m part of the greatest ministry Faith Promise Church has to offer, the High School Ministry. I’m married to a wonderful wife, and I have 4 wonderful daughters.

Why can’t I just do it?

Where is the switch, so I can just flip it “on” and get my walk in order? Where is the path that I am missing so I can get through all this stuff and quit floundering around in life? Where am I not getting it?

Why can’t I just do it?

Matthew 11:29-30-“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Before John Deere tractors, fields were plowed with oxen. The animals were yoked together, and hitched to a plow. You had to be careful, because you didn’t want two completely different oxen yoked together.

You wanted them to work together. And when the time came, you used more experienced oxen to train younger ones on the plowing. When you plowed, you wanted nice, straight furrows for your crops; not zigzagging lines all over your fields.

Okay, so who am I yoked to right now? Wait; you mean I’m actually supposed to be yoked with Jesus? But if I’m yoked to him, then I’m most likely in training. Also, if I’m yoked to him, then…..I’m not so completely different from Him after all. I mean, you don’t want to be unequally yoked…

But if I’m not so different, and we are plowing the same field, then why is it so hard for me? Why is my burden so heavy? I wonder what I’ll see if I look back at the line I’ve been plowing…..

Oh boy.

Exactly when did my line start trying to go crooked? Where did I go wrong?

Why can’t I just do it?

Then I look next to me, and there stands Jesus, still. Smiling at me; grinning from ear to ear. He doesn’t have to say a word. I just know that I’ve drifted and He has been there to keep my course. He doesn’t want me to go astray, but sometimes, we have to learn.

The yoke chafes when you strain against it, doesn’t it? It rubs and scrapes away at you. But when you put it on and follow the example we have been given, it’s much easier to pull.

Why can’t I just do it? Maybe I am trying too hard to do it, instead of allowing the One who works THROUGH me to do it. Maybe I’m going about this thing all wrong.

Maybe this yoke thing isn’t so bad after all.

You always get a chance to learn to plow. The fields are white with the harvest. Don’t just get disgusted with yourself and throw down your yoke. Don’t give up. Allow Jesus to pick you up, and dust you off.

Then grab that yoke, and pull with all your might, following the lead of the One who knows exactly where He wants you to go.

Hey, I’m doing it.

Be blessed in the Lord today, as He helps you plow your own field.

Bo J.

No comments: