Sunday, January 28, 2007

Galatians 6:10

Galatians 6:10-“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”

About six months ago, I did a devotional thanking you for sticking with me throughout this exercise of obedience. I told you that I appreciated you being with me and helping me. I appreciated your words of encouragement. Most of all, I like it when you identify with the events happening in my life, and relate them to your own.

I really have felt that it’s time for thanks, again. However, I think you should look at each other, and say thank you. I think it’s time we look at those around us; those whose deeds and sacrifices go somewhat unnoticed and unappreciated. I think it’s time we say thank you to everyone who contributes into our life.

As Christians, we sometimes get into the mentality of being a “receiver” and getting, getting, getting all the time. We never take time to be a “giver”. Now, don’t turn me off, I’m not talking about money or anything at all like that.

When is the last time that you told someone “Thank you” just for doing something they probably took for granted? When was the last time you thanked someone for being there for you or for supporting you? When was the last time you put someone above yourself and said, “I appreciate your sacrifice”?

I know I don’t do it NEAR enough. So that is another thing that I have set out to do this year. I want to increase my thank you quotient. I want people to know they are appreciated and welcomed.

Then there is the other side of that coin. The one where we wonder what motive there is when someone tells us thank you. We complain that no one acknowledges us. Then, when they do, we wonder what they want from us. We think they are getting ready to ask us to do something else in our already overloaded schedule.

So, let’s make a deal. Take your thank you with grace and mercy. Take it for how it’s meant, as a true token of appreciation. If you do that, then I’ll do it for you when you tell me thank you for doing something as well. Let’s show the world our love for one another as an example of Christ’s love.

Oh, and one more thing. I don’t want any of these off-handed thank you statements, either. You know what I mean. I’m talking about the grunt that you offer up as a pathetic attempt at acknowledging someone’s effort. The half-hearted “thank you” said under your breath or just above the hearing threshold. The one you hope that someone catches on the fly as you run out of the house.

NO! I want a thank you where you look someone in the eye, and really let them know you are paying attention to them. I want one where you speak clearly, and audibly. I want a thank you that engages someone to their core. I’m not asking for speeches or anything like that. I want you to use two little words a bit more in the future than you have in the past.

Thank you all for your time. Thank you all for your effort. Thank you all for keeping me in your heart and carving out a place for me in your life. Thank you.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: