Monday, February 19, 2007

Deuteronomy 30:19

Deuteronomy 30:19- “I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live…”

Each and every day we make choices. We choose to get out of bed and go to school/work/duty. We choose to do things with our family and/or friends. We choose when we lay down, and when we get up.

We choose to love.

I’m sure you’ve all heard about the people who have “fallen” out of love. People who have decided that, for one reason or another, the person they pledged to love in front of God and man is no longer good for them. They just can’t be with that person anymore. Not because of infidelity (cheating) or anything like that; they just don’t think they love them anymore.

Love is a CHOICE. A choice is defined as an act of selection. It means that you have more than one option, and you choose the one that, in most instances, benefits you.

But when is a choice more than just a choice? When does your choice really matter? I think it is when the choice involves taking the easy road on something, or sticking to the road less traveled. I believe that it is when you decide that, no matter how rotten the situation seems to you, you will stick with the God of your fathers and believe in Him and His grace.

It is really easy for us to choose to do things that make it easy on ourselves. We choose to get married. Then, when the marriage gets hard, or someone gets sick or something life changing happens, we decide this is too hard for us and we want OUT!

We choose to befriend people who we think will improve our status, and then we choose to belittle others simply because our “friends” would think less of us if we reached out to help or talk to that weird person.

We choose to accept God in our life; and then, when the enemy sets his sights on us, we decide that it’s not really in our best interest to keep going with Jesus. We begin to think about how easy our life was before Jesus came along and ruined everything for us. We believe that if we just choose to go back and do things they way we used to, everything would be okay.

Don’t shake your head in disbelief. We have all, at one time or another most likely, thought this way. The difference is that we made a CHOICE to continue following Jesus.

In John 6, many of Jesus’ disciples had deserted Him. He asked the twelve if they wanted to leave Him as well. Simon Peter asked Jesus where they would go; He had the words of life.

If you look around in the world today, you will see that the love of many has grown cold toward Jesus. I believe that Jesus is looking around at those of us who are left, some of whom may be in the fight of our life. He’s asking us, “Do you want to leave Me as well?”

Lord, I remember my life before You. I remember how painful and empty my life was before You had come along to save me. I remember that I was just a shell of the person I am now. I remember it all. And I compare it to what I am going through now.

Lord, where would I go? Your words are life to me.

Make a choice. Take a stand.

Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: