Monday, March 12, 2007

1 Corinthians 16:13

1 Corinthians 16:13-“Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.”

I wish the devil would play by the rules, like he is supposed to do.

I mean, I wish he would appear in front of me, just like he does in the movies. With his pointy tail, red skin, horns popping out of his head and all. I wish he would show up breathing smoke and fire; cursing God and His creation.

I wish he would just come to me, and tell me that he is asking me to forget the principles that God has instilled in me. I wish he would just tell me that he wants me to stop doing quiet time with God. I wish he would just come out and say, “Oh, by the way, what I am about to tell you is a lie, just so you know.”

I wish a lot of things, but none of them will happen. The enemy is a liar; pure and simple. He is out to get you separated from God. He wants to get your focus off God, and on him.

And sometime, he succeeds. Oh, don’t be so surprised. If you’re not focused and concentrating on God, then what ARE you concentrating on? If your circumstances dictate how you feel toward God, what does that say about your heart?

I mean, if each disobedient decision was presented to us by someone who LOOKED like the devil, we wouldn’t do it, would we?

So, what do we do? We gird ourselves, like the Bible states. Last night, at Bible study, one of the ladies spoke a profound word. She stated that if we are prayed up, and in tune with God, when He speaks, we’ll just jump. There would be no hesitation. There would be INSTANT OBEDIENCE.

We hate instant obedience. We want to be able to think about it, and analyze it from all angles. We want to find a way to make it a decision that came, not from God, but from US. We can get all the credit that way. However, if it gets messed up because we tried to finagle the recipe, then we can blame God.

I wonder if He laughs, just a little, as He loves us when we try and get one over on Him. I wonder why we all KNOW the things that keep us in tune with Him, and refuse to do them, because they are out of our comfort zone.

God amazes me, because He devotes His entire existence, from the time I was a baby until now, until my physical body dies, to encouraging me to be more like Him (Jesus). We think we are good parents, but we have absolutely, positively, one hundred percent NOTHING when compared to God.

How do we do it? How do we start/continue on the road to looking like Jesus?


Watch-the act of being vigilant. Not looking to get into trouble, but keeping your eyes open for trouble that might come looking for you.

Stand fast in the faith-being grounded and rooted in God’s word and His promises. Be like the tree planted by the rivers of water.

Be brave-don’t shrink from the enemy. If he wants to pick a fight with you, let him know that you’ve got a Big Brother who wants to whomp him a good one.

Be strong-don’t wilt in the sun of trials and tribulation. Stay in the race to the finish; don’t give up.

Remember, the enemy is going to disguise himself. He’s going to try and sneak up on you unawares. But our God, He has clothed us in Jesus, and given us His beauty. You are a child of God, if you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior. You don’t have to sneak around anyone or be afraid.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: