Monday, April 23, 2007

Proverbs 27:17

Proverbs 27:17- “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.”

We have issues, don’t we? We have problems and things and feelings that get in the way. We sometimes don’t get along.

Sometimes, we feel like we are on a desert isle, devoid of any other life save our own. We feel alone, trapped. And sometimes, we make prisons of our own, by holding on to hurts and feelings that we should have given up.

And sometimes, we just want someone to hurt as bad as we perceive that we hurt.

But God has a different way, doesn’t He? He tells me that my friends are the people who sharpen me; who keep me from losing my edge in this world. They keep me keen and sharp so that I can continue to do what God has placed me here to do in life.

A friend can be anyone-a spouse, a parent, a person unrelated to you except by the circumstances that bring you together. Whoever your friend is, and whoever you are a friend to, there is an obligation implied in that relationship. It’s one to be a sharpening stone, and not a dulling edge.

We get hurt quite easily, and it causes us to backpedal on our walk and those around us. It causes us to want to withdraw into ourselves. Or worse yet, to lash out at those who hurt us to make them feel pain.

As a friend, I have an obligation to tell you that’s not the way we’re supposed to be. The biggest problem the Christian church faces, in my opinion, is Christians.

We can be the kings and queens of “Do as I say, not as I do” thinking. We are our own worst enemies. It can keep us divided and hindered in our walks and our effectiveness.

Sometimes, when we need to talk, we can’t or won’t. It would be seen as a sign of weakness, or we don’t want to burden others with our problems. But if you look at that verse, God doesn’t say that.

It works, because God said so. A woman in our small group last night said that, and it struck me. (Thanks Angela!)

God said so, that’s why.

I don’t know why, I just know Who. He said it; that should be enough.

So, who do you need to sharpen yourself against today? Who needs to be sharpened? Let’s start trying to learn to be there, one for another, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Be blessed in the Lord.

Bo J.

No comments: