Monday, May 21, 2007

Proverbs 18:20

Proverbs 18:10-“The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They’re right behind me. If I slow down or stop, I don’t want to think about what they’ll do to me. I can hear them, screaming at me at the top of their lungs.

I fell into their trap-again.

Their voices pierce me like arrows. I can hear the claws scrabbling against the ground. I’m running for my life.

How did I get here? Where did I go wrong? The past few days are flashing through my mind as I seek an escape route; a hiding place; anything to provide me some cover.

I think about what happened; about what brought me to this place. I’m fleeing for my life in the face of a demon horde bent on my destruction. I’m fleeing because of my own decisions and choices. I’m running because I couldn’t bear to let the “good life” pass me by without partaking in it.

And now, I’m here. And I’m tired. I’m ready to give up and just let them do with me what they will; maybe it won’t be so bad. After all, don’t I deserve it?

I need to stop. Wait; what’s that up ahead in the fog? What is that, some kind of structure? I’ve been running so long, I didn’t see it in the distance. But how did I get here? I feel like it has been here the whole time-like I’ve just been running around it.

The voices bring me back to reality. They have redoubled their screams as the building ahead comes into sharp focus. I see spires and towers, gleaming in the light. I run straight at it.

A door opens, and shuts behind me. Just in time….

I fall to the ground; a lump of flesh, shaking, just trying to catch my breath. I hear them beating on the other side of the fragile door. Screaming at me, wanting to rend me to pieces…

I stand up and look around. And I see them for the first time, my rescuers. They look so fragile. They smile at me. One comes up to me and offers me something to eat; another something to drink. “Slowly,” they say. “You’ve been running around out there for quite a while.”

But you don’t understand; the monsters are after me. That door is not going to hold against them. My companions just smile. One comes up to me; he wears leadership like a visible coat. I can tell he is the one leading this group.

“Things are NOT always as they seem,” he says. With that, they begin to dress themselves. I realize that they are strapping on armor. They are going to go out there and fight.

“What are you doing?” I say. “You can’t go out there. Those…things are out there. They’ll tear you apart!” And then I realize they’re going out there for me.

No, I don’t deserve this. I don’t deserve these people going out to die for me. I am so unworthy. I’ve done so much wrong. I try to get up; but I’m so tired.

I feel strong hands, sure hands; lift me up onto my feet. I watch as gates open, and the people who rescued me go out in the plain around the fortress. I watch them stream out, and I wonder why I didn’t realize that there were so many.

Then I look at them, and they look….different. They stand taller and more magnificent than I remember. And the weapons they have, swords, spears, all kinds of armament. Each one gleams in the sun. As if they were on fire.

The gates shut and I hear terrible sounds; awful sounds. I hear screams and shrieks of horror and fear. “No! They’re dying out there! It’s my fault! I brought those foul things here! I’m sorry!”

The hands take me up and lift me. I feel strong arms carry me up a flight of stairs. I find myself in front of a window, peering down on the battlefield. I expect to see carnage. I do; but not like I thought.

The demons are the ones shrieking. They are being vanquished. They are being dispatched by the hundreds; by the thousands. And the attacking forces, my rescuers, are methodically cutting down the demon horde.

I watch in awe. And as quickly as it started, it’s over. Not one of the marauding hordes is left to face me. They have been beaten.

I turn to look into the face of the Person holding me up. He has a crown on; and piercing eyes. He looks upon me, and I feel like I can’t hide anything from Him. This is even more fearful than the demonic group. I fall on my knees at His feet, begging Him not to look at me; sobbing that I’m not worthy of what He has done for me.

And I feel Him pick me up, and hold me close. And then, I hear, “My child, my child. You are worth my entire Kingdom. I love you more than you could know. I have always been here, with My army, waiting on you to call on Me.”

He is carrying me, right into His throne room. He carries me, and I am like a helpless baby in His arms. He seats Himself on His throne, and the returning army comes in and arranges itself around the room. Then they bow at His feet and praise Him. I hear them, as He holds me close, keeping me safe.

Run for the tower. Don’t give up, it’s there. The enemy is trying to hide it from you. He knows if you find it, you’ll be safe.

Run for the tower. You’ll be welcomed and safe inside.

Be blessed in the Lord,

Bo J.

No comments: