Friday, June 22, 2007

Psalm 107:1

Psalm 107:1-“Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.”

Okay, it’s been a while. It’s been a month since I last talked with you. I hadn’t realized how much people enjoyed me baring myself like this, until I got caught up in the moment.

I’ll be honest; it’s been a long month. Since I last met with you I have: celebrated a birthday for one of my daughters; celebrated my 18th wedding anniversary; celebrated the birth of a new grandson (easy, easy…); celebrated my 41st birthday; been given the most wonderful Father’s day ever; changed jobs; and celebrated my wife’s birthday.

As far as everything goes, I think I’m doing pretty well. For those who don’t know, the grandson is the one that hit me the hardest. You simply hate to see your children make mistakes in their life. You want the absolute best for them.

No, I am NOT saying that my grandson is a mistake. I know he is a gift from God, and God doesn’t make mistakes. As someone told me, God obviously wanted to bless this particular child with grandparents like my wife and I (thanks Trina).

I have received all kinds of hope and help from those around me. It’s kind of nice when people don’t talk down to you from their high horse, because they have been where you are standing now. We (especially me), should remember that in our daily walk.

Oh, and it is okay to be angry sometimes; just don’t let it interfere with your walk. I’m not at all happy with my daughter, the new mother. I don’t think her or her boyfriend she is living with were truly ready to be parents. They are both immature children who took it upon themselves to bring a life into the world.

Sometimes, I feel as I have had a large chunk of my life just snatched away. I think about the pain they may go through and it makes me sick. I literally cry thinking of the times they have coming. It is hard for me to be uplifting when I know she deliberately disobeyed God’s commandments and then expects me to just live with it because she believes that this is God’s choice for her life.

To the youth reading this, I want you to know, on behalf of all parents, we do have feelings for you. We hurt when you seemingly throw your life down for something we know you aren’t ready to handle. It pains us to no end to see you hurt.

And most of all, for those who can, it hurts to have to stand back and watch you take your lumps. It hurts to have to stand back and allow God to work in your life, to bring you to the place He needs you to be in so He can turn your heart back to Him.

We ache for the pain you go through, because we share your pain. Your sin, your life doesn’t affect just you, it affects everyone around you. We are burdened with it, and wonder where we went wrong.

Then, we have to resolve ourselves that you are an adult and you have to learn your own lessons. You can’t get to Heaven on someone else’s coattails. You have to come to the knowledge of salvation on your own. You have to decide for yourself that you are tired of doing it your way, and turn your life over to God.

Trust me, I know. I had to 10 years ago.

Parents, the Bible is also full of promises for us to cling. We can trust that God’s plan for our children will be fulfilled. We can let God use us to help it along, or turn our backs on it. As with your life, the only person in your child’s life who can stop God is your child.

If you have raised that child up as best you can in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and you have done your best to be an example, then you have done what has been asked. I believe that you have fulfilled your obligation. Don’t beat yourself up over their mistakes.

God is great. He is merciful. He knows your pain, and your heartache. He knows you, better than you know yourself. He desires, more than anything, for you to come into His presence and dwell with Him. He wants to be a blessing to you in your time of need.

He wants to show you His mercy. Bask in it, and allow Him to work in your life.

Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: