Sunday, July 22, 2007

2 Corinthians 2:14

2 Corinthians 2:14-“Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.”

Well, how do you smell this morning? What is the odor that everyone around you smells? Are you someone that everyone wants to get a good whiff of, or are you someone that clears a room whenever you walk in?

We don’t really take our Christian walk very seriously sometimes, do we? I mean, we go to church, and come home. We go to work, or to school, or to meetings, or on errands, or one of the million things that we do in our daily lives.

But have you ever thought about why you’re doing it? Better yet, as I asked above, have you ever thought about how you SMELL when you’re doing it?

Are we walking in victory and triumph, or are we simply walking around in a daze? Are we God’s hands and feet in this world?

I hate to tell you this, but a lot of times I’m not. I would like to think that I am, but I miss the mark plenty of times.

“Well, if it’s so hard, why even try? Why not just live your life the way you want, and get what you can now? Why not just be happy?”

That’s easy to answer. My life is not my own; I’ve been bought and paid for at a steep price. I’ve been redeemed. I’ve been set free.

I’ve been freed from the power of sin in my life. That doesn’t mean that I DON’T sin. It means that I have been freed from the cruel taskmaster who directed my thoughts and actions before I met Christ.

It means that I can make a realistic choice now, as to what I do. I can see what is in front of me, and chose wisely, instead of choosing to fulfill my own lusts and pleasures.

I can believe in something, and Someone, and place perfect trust and faith in His abilities. He told me that once I give my life over to Him, He’ll bless me and protect me. He’ll place a hedge of protection around me.

Then, I look in His word, and I see that He hasn’t broken a promise yet. And it’s been a LONG time for Him to go without doing that. Heck, I can barely make it a day without breaking some promise that I made to someoneJ.

When I read this verse, I realized that God did more than just wash me clean and give me a new set of clothes. He did more than set a crown of victory on my head. He gave me a new smell; His smell.

When the Holy Spirit took up residence in my heart, I got the greatest cologne ever made applied to my body. I smell better than I ever have before.

Each of us who is now marked and labeled as a child of God has been given a new fragrance. We are to use that gift to bring others to saving knowledge as well, in EVERYTHING that we do.

So, the next time you’re driving and someone cuts you off, smile in love. Be patient in the grocery line, or the line at the bank. Stop trying to win every discussion; don’t try and be the one who is right all the time.

Be the fragrance of God, and let everyone around you inhale deeply of the scent. Don’t clear a room whenever you walk into it.

Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: