Saturday, August 04, 2007

Habakkuk 3:17-19

Habakkuk 3:17-19- “Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls-yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills.”

Boy, isn’t that some strong language? How many of you while you were reading that were thinking to yourself, “You know God, that’s all well and good. But You just don’t understand what I’M going through right now.”? Come on, be honest with yourself.

Things like this hit us right where it hurts. I know it’s hit me and my wife. This has been that kind of week. And I know my Pastor talked about it as well. We all have them as Christians. It’s the kind of week where you just want to look up at God and go, “Why me? Why is it always me?”

But you know what, it’s not always us. My week got placed into perspective for me-again. We’ve had a problem with our bank, and now we’re fighting to get some money that was removed in the blink of an eye, back in a timely manner.

And then my 75 year old grandmother fell at her home this past Sunday. She’s in the hospital; but she’s okay.

And then, I had a scare with cancer this week. I’ll not go into it, but I’m okay. I’m sure I’ll get yelled at from my boys about that one.

“So Bo,” you ask, “What did God do to place your week in perspective?” Well, I’ll tell you.

I didn’t bury one of my children this past week.

Ouch. That hurts, doesn’t it?

A guy who came to our small group passed away on Monday as a result of a car accident. I went to the visitation on Thursday with Matt Grimes. There is nothing like that to put your life in sharp focus. As a gentleman told me tonight (thanks Parker), all that stuff I’ve been going through is just noise.

We all have things; lots of things. But does anything negate the goodness of God? Does any of the stuff that I am going through right now mean that God is not on the throne of Heaven? Does it mean that God has left me to my own devices when I am going through tribulations?

Nope, not at all. And it’s the same in your life, as well. I am saved and being sanctified. I am a blood bought, born-again, saint of the Most High God Almighty. I am a child of God. I am an heir to the Kingdom. My daddy is now God, and He can beat up any daddy around.

Look around at your life. Better yet, look at someone else’s. It’s always a good bet that when you are getting wrapped up and worried about this bill, or that car, or that account-if your circumstances are starting to worry you, then you’ve forgotten about those around you.

You’ve become selfish and self-centered. You’ve forgotten about the wonderful gift of salvation that was bestowed upon you. You’ve forgotten that the Bible says that you are a pilgrim and a stranger in this world. You’ve forgotten that once you get saved, your home is no longer here on this ball of dirt. When you go home, it’s a mansion in Heaven. If all this stuff down here kills you, you get to go immediately into the presence of the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.

I forgot for a time this week; so did my wife. But we came together, and we prayed, and we reminded ourselves that no matter what kind of mess we got ourselves into, God has always managed to get us out of it.

He’s NEVER left us, nor forsaken us.

How about you? Can you tell me HONESTLY one time that God has truly left you hanging out in the breeze? I doubt it; stop trying to find one.

Look up again at what Habakkuk said in that verse. Though my WHOLE world turns upside down, yet I will still praise Him. Even if the carpet of my life is pulled out from under me, I will still exalt Him.

God’s still on the throne. Don’t give up on Him yet. He didn’t give up on you.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: