Friday, August 31, 2007

Psalm 116

Psalm 116

Yep, that’s it for today. That’s what I’m giving to you, the whole Psalm.

I tried to find the perfect verse to tell you how I feel today, but I couldn’t. I could not pick out one verse to give you. So, I’ll give you a little homework for this week: find your own in that beautiful poem to God.

I want you to know something. I love God. I want so much to just follow Him and do what He asks of me. I want so much to just BE in Him. Do you understand where I’m coming from?

I think I’ve told you before that initially I started this after a request from my adult small group. Now, it’s just taken on a life of its own. God has used my shortcomings, twists and turns in life to help you on your way. And I have had to learn a little humility in return.

And you know what? I don’t care.

I pour out my feelings here, not because I want your pity, or your sympathy. I pour out from my own life, so that YOU will know that you are not alone. YOU are not the only one who has things happening in their life. YOU are not walking along with no one to empathize for your pain.

Oh, we all have different pains, to be sure. But each of us has an ultimate goal of reaching for the prize of the upward calling in Christ Jesus. I can’t help but think of Paul the Apostle. He wrote all those letters, and he exposed his own troubles and perils in life. He wrote about what happened; who made him mad, and who made him joyful.

He wrote about his life, so we could imitate him as he imitated Christ.

But I’m not Paul. I’m Bo.

And Bo wants you to know that he loves you. Bo wants you to realize that in this Christian walk, you are going to do some things you regret. You are going to say some things you wish you could take back again. You are going to fall occasionally.

He wants you to know, however, that this life you live is not your own. We were bought at a very high price. We literally cost Someone’s life to redeem us from what we were, to what we can be.

My wife and I have been thanking God a lot these past couple of weeks in our corporate (together) prayer. We have been telling Him thanks for things we haven’t seen yet, because of what we HAVE seen.

And we figured out, once again, that everything outside of God is just noise. We are together and strong. We are fighting a culture that demands immediate satisfaction. We are fighting a world that screams to get yours, and if you don’t go somewhere else until you do get it. We are fighting an environment that tells you how easy it is to just move on if others disappoint you or hurt you. You don’t have to put up with it, or pray through it; life is about you and what you get out of it.

But it’s really not. Your life is all about God and glorifying Him through what you say, think, and do. Your life; my life; our lives are about showing the way.

If I told you that once you got saved, everything would go okay in your life, I wouldn’t be honest. That’s why there are books all over the place about how bad things happen to good people.

The Bible is full of stories like those. So why should my life be any different? Why should I try and sugarcoat my life, and make you believe everything is a bed of roses, when it may not always be true? Why not be truthful about what I’m going through and how I’m feeling?

It helps you when you are going through it. It lets you know that there are some things in your life that are just noise as well. It lets you know that no matter what the world says or throws at you, you have a hope and a future that is not here.

This life is not the end of your commentary. God is continually writing the story of your life and my life. Sometimes things go swimmingly, and you are having a ball. And sometimes, it’s a mystery, or a horror story with sickening twists and turns.

However it is right now, you can be sure that it won’t last forever. And I’ll remind you that God has already written the end of our book. He’s already chaptered the story of our lives.

In the end, we win. Not on our own; but in the power of the Holy Spirit working in our lives because of the sacrifice of God’s Son Jesus.

I’ll continue to tell you my heart because you deserve to know that God is in control and He always redeems my life back to Him. And He will do the same in your life if you will let Him.

Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: