Friday, August 10, 2007

Psalm 19:14

Psalm 19:14-“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.”

Do you understand what the word REDEEMED means? Do you understand what is included when we use that term? I wonder if any of us REALLY think about what redemption truly means.

Do you realize that forgiveness is not just some passing fad that God is REQUIRED to do? He is God; the Creator of the ENTIRE Universe. All of it, every iota, quark, muon, gluon, and subatomic particle came into being because He willed it.

Redemption and forgiveness are MORE than just words or concepts. It’s realizing that the same person who created the Universe so it would operate just so, made a provision for us in our humanity. Redemption is not a way for the church to keep us feeling guilty and ashamed and wringing money from our pockets.

Redemption means that someone who DIDN’T have to do so cleaned you up and accepted you as His own. It means that you and I have been accepted into a royal family.

I realized today (actually this week) that I have spent so much time telling God what I don’t have, that I forgot to tell Him what I do have and thank Him for what He has already given me.

And, unlike me, He still loves me for me and does everything He can to bless me. You know what I mean, right? For us, if someone doesn’t acknowledge what you do for them, we can hold a grudge. If someone continually came to me like I come to God, I would get tired of it and not do anything else for them.

I’d stop answering my phone, and I wouldn’t respond to their e-mails. I would avoid them at all costs and duck down the other aisle if I saw them in the store. If I saw them in church, I’d make excuses about who I had to go talk to, or act like I was really busy and had to leave.

But God doesn’t do any of that stuff. He just holds me. He takes my petty wants and desires and changes me so that they don’t much matter. And He doesn’t do it in some heavy-handed way. He just lets me turn off my selfishness on my own, by gently pointing it out to me.

Wow, I wish I could be more like that. I wish that the words that I spoke reflected more love for what He has done for me, instead of reminding Him of what He hasn’t given me yet. I wish that I could be more devoted to Him in my heart no matter what, instead of just when things are going well in my life.

Hey, you know what? It’s happening. Gee, I guess if I just let Him change me, and stop trying to do it on my own, maybe it’ll go smoother.

You tell me.

Be blessed in the Lord today,


Bo J.

No comments: