Friday, September 07, 2007

Deuteronomy 28:1

Deuteronomy 28:1-“Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.”

Ding! Ding! Ding! School’s in session. Let’s turn in our books to our math lesson for the day. I love mathematics. The ability to use numbers and logic to explain concepts just floors me. I use math every day and I love it.

I know there are some of you out there who think I’m nuts, and that’s okay. This will be an easy lesson, I promise. I think this is a great way to put in simple terms what MY revelation has been lately about God.

Now, I know that numbers and mathematical expressions are finite and our God is an infinite being. Bear with me for just a bit while I explain. See, numbers, for all their differences, and size and the way they are represented are still numbers.

2+2=4. That’s a true statement, right? No matter where I am in the world, that statement holds true. It doesn’t matter whether or not I’m in North America, or Europe, or Africa, or anywhere else….the mathematical statement 2+2 always equals 4.

It also doesn’t matter what I believe about God, does it? No matter how I believe or what I believe about God, 2+2 still is equal to 4. It’s an absolute value. Now, man in his wisdom and mathematical prowess has invented imaginary numbers, but look at the name…IMAGINARY. They are NOT real. They are representations of an idea that we can’t quite grasp. So it’s shown as an imaginary value.

2+2=4.

God is like that, as well. God is an ABSOLUTE value. No matter what anyone thinks of Him, or how they try and prove or disprove Him, it doesn’t matter. He’s still an absolute value. He’s a standard that we cannot move.

I think that people base their beliefs in God on three different mathematical principles. Now, there are LOADS of math statements out there, but I only want to concentrate on three easy ones.

The first is addition. See, some like to believe that God’s whole purpose is to keep adding into their life. They don’t ever feel like they have to give or do, they just take and take and take some more. They feel like they are entitled to this lifestyle and demand that God continue to add to their total. Nothing is too good for them, and God wants them to have everything, regardless of their walk with Him.

The next is subtraction. There are those who feel that once they give their life to God, they have made it into Heaven. Nevertheless, God wants them to suffer and grovel and generally just subjugate themselves daily. They are never going to get anything because they are not good enough. And if they do get anything, it’s only a matter of time before God takes it away, because that’s just what He does.


The last one is a kind of neat statement that we have been talking about a lot lately in church and in my life. It’s called an if/then statement.

See, an if/then statement uses the inherent facts that numbers are absolute values. It shows that, no matter how convoluted a formula becomes, it still has to follow some basic rules. An if/ then statement tells me that IF I add the numbers 2 and 2, THEN I will get 4. Always, forever, until the end of time.

Now, mathematics and all the other laws derived from it are based on standards that God put in place when He created the Universe. So, the only one who can change the rules is Him. But if He changed the rules, then would He still be absolute? Would He still be an immovable standard that you could measure your life by? Would He still be the Rock?

I believe my God is an if/then kind of God. See, He tells me in Deuteronomy 28 that IF I follow His commandments and do what is right in His sight, THEN He will set me high above the nations of the earth. He will give me blessing upon blessing upon blessing.

I get blessed because I do what God asks me to do. I fulfill the part on the left side of the equation, and the right side of the equation gets fulfilled in my life. I am not blessed because I deserve it. I ‘m blessed because if I do my part, then God, Who is absolute, has to do His part in order to balance out the equation.

And no, I am NOT saying that He owes me. I’m saying that He is truthful and keeps His promises in Scripture. Don’t get the two confused. We are NOT entitled to anything God doesn’t promise us in Scripture. Don’t start naming and claiming everything under the sun just because it’s what YOU want for you life. Line it up with the Word of God!

One more thing; the first half of that chapter tells us the blessings that we will walk in if we follow God’s commandments. The second half details the other part of if/then statements that we don’t like.

See, with addition and subtraction, we don’t have to think about anything outside of that statement. With if/then, there are two sides to the coin. It covers what happens if you conform to the “if” conditions, AND what can happen if you DON’T conform to those conditions. The second half of Deut 28 pretty much reads like a horror novel. I don’t even want to go there.

So, which statement conforms to your life right now? We can all be any statement at any point in our life. That’s why God gave us the Book to take home and study, so we can be ready for the ultimate test. It’s just one question; pass or fail.

Do you have Him, or not? Is He Lord of your life, or just a way to get stuff?

Class is dismissed. Be blessed in the Lord today.

Bo J.

No comments: