Friday, October 12, 2007

1 John 4:19

1 John 4:19-“We love Him because He first loved us.”

I’m really struggling with writing this today. I had something else I wanted to use, but I got my day started, and this struck me right between the eyes. I wrestle with it, not because I’m scared I’ll offend someone; it’s so vivid to me that I’m wondering if anyone else will get it.

Fridays are my day off now on my schedule. I work 10 hour days, Monday through Thursday. On Fridays, I walk my youngest daughter down to the bus stop and take my wife to work and other things that I’m assigned.

Today, as my youngest and I started down the street toward the bus stop, we had a surprise waiting for us. It kind of startled my daughter, as she almost walked right up on it.

It was a small grey kitten. It was right in the middle of the road, and it looked like it had been struck partially by a car. (Please understand I know that this will tear some people up. It affected me. I’m not telling you this for the shock value.) The kitten looked in bad shape. It was bleeding from the mouth, and it was dazed and confused.

I didn’t want to risk picking it up and hurting it even more. When the light from my flashlight hit it, it immediately started hissing and crawling around the street. We used the light to guide it onto the curb and into the yard. Right now, as I write this, it’s in my next door neighbor’s yard, beneath one of her trees.

I want to try and catch it and get it help. But it’s so tiny and I don’t know how to do it without hurting it more. She called animal control this morning, and they said they would come pick it up, but it’s been a while, and we haven’t heard from anyone yet.

It bothers me; it really does. The little kitten is a miniature version of my cat. It has the same coloration and markings, everything. I hate sitting here knowing that it’s out there and cold and alone.

Some of you are probably envisioning that kitten right now. Some of you are probably wondering why I’m in here writing this instead of taking care of it. You think I’m cruel and heartless for using this kitten for God knows what of my own purposes.

Let me ask you this then, and answer honestly. How many of you have people that you go to school with, or go to work with every day? How many of us see that person in the halls that everyone else has abandoned to the world, because they just got to be too much trouble? How many of us see that person that we work with that may shy away from someone because he or she has been hurt so many times before by people?

How many of you can love a poor little kitten that you walk up on, and you have people around you who are in the same broken, bleeding, and dying condition and you turn your back on them because you don’t feel like doing something? You can feel for that kitten that I saw this morning, but you can be dead inside to the people around you dying and going to Hell?

I’m crying now, it’s getting hard to type this. See, we all do it. We all forget that once we were unloved, broken, and cast off. The world used a lot of us up and spit us out like yesterday’s news. We were out in the street, waiting for the end to come and just make the pain go away.

But Someone came along, and shined a light on you. He saw you and had compassion on you in your circumstances. He knew that you needed a Doctor, a Lawyer, a Friend, a Husband, a Wife, whatever you needed. He came down from His house, and took it upon Himself to stand watch over you. He kept you warm and dry, and He cried whenever your pain was so great that it caused you to shy away from His loving touch.

He loved us, not because we did anything to deserve it; but just because it’s His nature to love. And in return, we learn to love Him back. But it doesn’t and shouldn’t just stop there. We should learn to love outside of ourselves. We should want those who don’t know the love and care that we feel now to feel it themselves.

We should love the broken, bleeding, cast off refuse of the world; that’s what Jesus did when He died for us all. He loved everyone, and He didn’t make a snap judgment that not everyone was worthy. I’ve heard it said, and have said it myself, and it bears repeating. I believe that even if it was ONE SINGLE SOLITARY PERSON who was going to die and go to Hell, Jesus would have laid down His life for that person.

One man, one life-given for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Please understand I don’t have this down myself. I’m STILL learning this walk. I’m still under construction. And I’ll be honest, I’ve written all this, and I don’t know quite where to go from here. But I’m going to trust in my God and His work in me. I’m going to believe that He who has started a good work in me will complete it.

I’m going to try and love, because He loves me. I’m going to try and be more compassionate to the kittens (people) who have been struck by life and left in the middle of the street for traffic.

I’m gonna go now, and see if I can somehow coax that kitten I found this morning into a cat carrier and take it to my vet. I want to see if I can get it some help. My wife and daughters may come home today, and we have yet another pet cat. And we’re not even cat people; we love and want a dog!

But it would sure be a good reminder of God’s love for me and my household. It would remind me that no one is too broken or beyond God.

You were worth it to Him. Who is worth it to you?

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: