Friday, October 19, 2007

Jeremiah 17:7-8

Jeremiah 17:7-8-“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and whose hope is in the LORD. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.”

You know what? Sometimes it’s really hard to be me. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, a VERY, VERY, VERY small part of me wishes I didn’t start doing this. I SOMETIMES wish I didn’t have whatever it is that asks me to put myself out like this-baring myself for everyone to see.

It’s been one of those weeks. Not a bad week, just one that you wonder about and ponder the sense of it all.

I work around a lot of people who seem to have it all together. They have all the stuff that I want-the electronics gadgets, the radio controlled this, the HD that…all the stuff. They have their 401(k) and their IRA and their bank account that has more money in it in savings than I make in a month.

They’re getting the deals around town and making the most of their life. They seem to be enjoying everything while I just seem to get by. Then, I really listen to them. I listen to them talk about God. Oh, they believe in God, they just don’t listen to Him.

They believe in God, but they think they’re just being good enough and that is enough. They don’t like RELIGION (neither do I for that matter-I love God), and they definitely don’t want to be reminded about God’s if/then statements in the Bible.

They tell you that their life is going great now, so why should they change? If their life needs to come under God’s protection, how come they got that great deal on furniture/their vehicle/money windfall/whatever?

If you listen, you realize that their belief in God, if they have one, is based on their stuff. And if I take what they say into my heart, and don’t compare it to the Word, I will start leaning toward that as well. I’ll start wondering why I don’t have this or that, these or those. I’ll start wondering and dreaming and thinking that I’m missing something.

But am I? Are we missing something? You know the answer to that as well as I do, yet here we are again.

One of the greatest statements I can hear people say is, “Well, I’m just going to live my life the way I want. You only live once.”

What if you’re wrong? What if our God really is the only way to true happiness and peace? What if God really has a plan for you that doesn’t involve you chasing the next big thing you want in your life?

If I’m wrong, and Christianity is just a crutch, and Jesus really didn’t do all that stuff He said He did, and we’re just living a lie-how am I worse for it? If it makes me try and be better for Him and those around me; to love and think outside of my four walls, am I that bad?

But if those others are wrong, then all they got is stuff now and Hell in the future. And you try and tell them that, but they’re blinded by the noise and shiny things of the world.

So when the heat does come, as it will, and the drought and famine comes, as it will, who is more prepared?

If I know that God is already taking care of me, and I have stood back and seen that, time after time, He lavishes His love on me, the deserts will come and go and I’ll still be blessed.

Those who don’t believe, who don’t have their life centered on God, well, I’m betting they’ll be blaming Him and calling Him a liar and a cheat. “You didn’t give me what I want, so I refuse to believe that You even love me,” they’ll say, even as they can’t show when they appreciated Him before.

Don’t worry, this isn’t for you. It’s for me. I know you don’t have these questions. I know that you don’t look around and sometimes, SOMETIMES, wonder if it’s worth it. You have your salvation firmly in mind, and a good grip on the Lord’ tassels.

Me, I’m still learning. And you know what? I’m not afraid to tell you that. So, if in the dark one night, when you think you’re all alone and no one knows how you feel, maybe you’ll remember this letter. You can understand that one person can sympathize with you. I’m still growing in this walk, and God will finish the work He started. If He’ll do it for me, He’ll do it for you, too.

I had a doctor’s appointment yesterday. On the way home, I was listening to a CD. A song came on that brought tears to my eyes and made me realize that I’m okay. It was the gospel group MaryMary, singing “Dance, Dance, Dance”. I started singing in my truck, because it told me what I needed to know about God. I worshiped on my way home through traffic and had a great time with God.

“Maybe you don’t understand why I gotta dance, there was something had me down but it’s over now. I’m a throw my hands up wave ‘em all the in air, cause all I wanna do is dance, dance, dance!” (Okay, don’t imagine ME singing it. Look ‘em up or I can let you hear the song.)

Anyway, it helped me. You hear all this stuff from the world, and you have to decide Who you believe. I came to the realization that, sooner than I think, I get what I need when I need it. I don’t have to look around, just up. And I’ll know that it’s not about me being right. It’s about Him not being wrong.

Come on; throw your hands in the air with me and dance, dance, dance.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: