Friday, November 23, 2007

Psalm 84:10-11 (NKJV)

Psalm 84:10-11 (NKJV)-“For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and a shield; the LORD will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. “

I told you last week that I’m reading that book by A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy. It’s really amazing to me how such a small book can hold so great an impact on my life. And right now, Randy Riggins is smiling and most likely laughing his head off. If you see him, he’ll probably tell you he owns me, and he’s right.

I have learned so much just using that small book in my daily devotionals. I’m learning that I don’t give God near as much credit in my life as I try and pretend like I do. And I don’t give Him near the PRE-EMINENCE He deserves. Oh, for you who don’t know, that means that we SAY God is supreme with our mouths, but we don’t follow it up with our hearts.

If I could truly grasp for one day, one hour, even one minute how glorious and how gracious God is, it would change my life forever. If I could have the vision that Isaiah had (Isa 6) or Daniel (Dan 10:6-9), I would just KNOW how insignificant I am next to God the Almighty.

Everything flows from God, EVERYTHING. He is my source and my wellspring of life and totality. And each day that I wallow in the pit of despair and sin, I am reminded of how much I need Him and His power in my life.

Why are we content with just going to church on the weekend, and then leaving Him at the door? Why is it that I treat Him like I’m doing Him a favor visiting Him on the weekend and then going out for the rest of the week satisfying my own natural (read: WORDLY) lusts and urges?

The verse above says that a day in His courts is better than a thousand days elsewhere. He will withhold NOTHING from me, if I walk uprightly in Him. If I do what He has asked me to do, and serve Him with gladness of heart, He will keep nothing from me.

But yet and still I find myself walking in my old sins and my old ways. I find the nature side, the old man, rising to the occasion; reminding me of all the good things that I’m missing. He whispers in my ear about all the fun that’s passing me by.

What about you? Did you find yourself full of thankfulness yesterday, on Thanksgiving Day, and then fighting and cursing your fellow man today, Black Friday, the worst shopping day of the year? Are you the same person today that you were yesterday, or even last weekend while you were at church?

Has your vision of God tarnished and faded? Let me tell you something, it’s your vision that has gone dark, not our God. He has not left you, nor forsaken you. But we, through justification of our own thoughts and desires, have turned aside the truth of God for a lie.

God is still the vision of brightness and glory that He was in the Old Testament. He is still the awesome white cloud of glory that leads you by day, and the humbling pillar of fire that leads you by night. He is still the God of heaven and earth.

He is so far above me, that I cannot even fathom it. I can’t even comprehend how above me His glory extends. I should be on my knees, if not physically then mentally, each and every second of every day because I have seen His glory in His word and His world and know that He is the Maker of all things!

I should be glad to be no more than a doorkeeper to the courts of His house, because I am not worthy to stand in His presence because it would cause me to fall on my knees. To be in His presence is to be in the presence of all that I am not and cannot attain to be; I am not holy except that He has extended His Son’s precious blood to me to make me holy.

In light of Him, all else should fade away.

Tozer wrote his commentary on the church’s continued degradation of who God is more than 30 years ago. It still rings true today; now more than ever. We need to get back to the basics of whom we are, and to Whom we belong. I think this book is a burning bush reminder of who our God is, and our proper relationship to Him.

God is speaking to us, reminding us that He is holy, and He calls us to be holy. We should treat God as such, and remember that He is above all things, and we exist only because of Him.

We need to stop asking Him, “What have You done for me lately?”

Let’s be glad when someone says to us let’s go the house of the Lord. Be the best doorkeeper that you can be; the alternative can be far, far worse.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: