Friday, January 25, 2008

Phillipians 3:13-14 (NKJV)

Philippians 3:13-14 (NKJV)-“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

“There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world; it’s the beginning of a new life.”-Unattributed1

“We must learn to let go, to give up, to make room for the things we have prayed for and desired.”-Charles Fillmore 2

“One can never change the past, only the hold it has on you.”-Merle Shain 3

“Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past can changed.”-Oprah Winfrey 4

“We find by losing. We hold fast by letting go. We become something new by ceasing to be something old. This seems to be close to the heart of that mystery. I know no more now than I ever did about the far side of death as the last letting-go of all, but now I know that I do not need to know, and that I do not need to be afraid of not knowing. God knows. That is all that matters.”-Frederick Buechner 5

Letting go of stuff is hard to do, isn’t it? We are human and our base instinct is to hold on to things. We will latch on with an intense grip any sensation or experience that comes within our grasp-love, pain, anguish, joy, passion, sorrow….whatever.

I told you that this year, my goal is to become more intimate with God. In order to become more intimate with Him, I have to make room in my heart. In order to make room for Him (cause He’s a BIG God), I need to let go of some other things that I’m holding on to. And sometimes, it’s hard to let go.

We want to hold on to the pain we feel when someone hurts us. We base everything that happens with that person afterwards on that one experience, and seemingly never give God a chance to heal the rift. We want everyone to know that we got hurt, and for them to feel the victimization and pain that we feel.

We can’t make room for intimacy and hold on to the past at the same time. Something has to go-something has to be moved out. We need to forget those things which have passed beyond our horizon; remembering that something new is coming up if we would only look FORWARD.

I had a friend ask me a question in a recent e-mail. She sent some things that she desires to do this New Year; of how she’s trying to take care of herself and those around her. She’s trying to let go.

I’ve been thinking about this all week. As I said before, I get the idea for these in my head, and then I just pray about it and see if it’s from God, or if it’s just my inner pride and self-centeredness. This has been with me, and re-affirmed through others.

I’m gonna try and let go. Yesterday, I was myself; I didn’t hide behind a mask of false bravado. I was me. If I’m who God wants me to be, and I treat others the way He wants me to, I have nothing to fear. God proved that to me yesterday.

You can get by without being a victim. You can get by without holding on to everything. When you try not to let anything slip from your grasp, eventually, your hands get tired. You can’t hold a fist that long; you just can’t.

You can’t be everything to everyone. Notice that I didn’t say you can’t CARE for everyone around you; you can’t just take everyone’s pain and suffering away. You can’t show everyone how to live. You just get in God’s way. Eventually, you’ll tire of trying to do His job. He never gets tired of doing His thing; He has unlimited reserves. You only have that daily bread He gives you; just enough to get by to teach you to rely on Him.

The hardest thing about letting go, is watching someone you’ve been trying to protect be exposed to their own choices. The law of sowing and reaping had never changed while you were running interference; you just kept plowing under things that needed to grow in that person’s life to bring them to intimacy with God.

Letting go doesn’t mean you don’t love. Letting go is a sign that you love someone too much to allow them to stay as they are right now. Letting go means that you allow God to work in them and grow them into what He wants them to be, not what YOU want for them.

The past is gone, let it go. Don’t dwell on the pain and hurt, even if it just happened. The world is full of it, and always will be until Jesus returns and redeems it.

I can’t tell you how to let go. You have to come to that on your own. It’s different for every person. But I will tell you that ignoring your pain, or trying to soldier through it is not going to help. Ignoring pain doesn’t make it go away. It only makes it stronger.

Letting go means you acknowledge that you have pain, and that you can’t do anything about it. For me, it’s telling God that I’m here, and I know what you want me to do. But right now, I’m in the midst of this place, and it’s hard for me. I can’t do it, so please, please, do it through me. Help me to let go and allow You to work in my life.

If you let it go, I can guarantee that God will pick it up. I can also guarantee that if you take it from His hands, He will let you. Let it go; let Him pick it up. It’s amazing to me. I lay this huge burden of mine down at the altar and tell God. I let Him know that I’m tired of trying to carry this and I want to give Him the opportunity to take care of it.

Then He picks it up, and my huge burden looks so small and tiny in His hands. Oh, and one more thing. When He picks it up, you can see He’s still holding it. Don’t get anxious about it, thinking that because you can still see it, it’s still there. It’s in His hands now; He’s letting you know that it’s His now. He’ll keep it from you as long as you let Him.

Don’t go and grab it from His hand, thinking that He’s not doing anything with it.

Let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

P.S. Hey, M. J., does this answer your question?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1, 5 http://www.livinglifefully.com/lettinggo.htm

2
http://koti.mbnet.fi/amoira/letgo1.htm


3
http://www.hobogirl.com/quotes/HGQ-LettingGo.htm


4
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/35000.html

1 comment:

melissa beckley said...

this entire section was exactly what i needed to hear. it actually made me cry because it opened my eyes to what i needed to see. thank you so much for what you do bo!