Friday, May 30, 2008

Hebrews 6:17-18 (NIRV)

Hebrews 6:17-18 (NIRV)-“So God took an oath when he made his promise. He wanted to make it very clear that his purpose does not change. He wanted those who would receive what was promised to know that. God took an oath so we would have good reason not to give up. We have run away from everything else to take hold of the hope offered to us in God's promise. So God gave his promise and his oath. Those two things can't change. He couldn't lie about them. “

Yesterday was my birthday, again. I turned 42 and it was a great day. My family went out of their way to make sure that I didn’t have to do anything and that NOTHING interfered with my birthday.

The world conspired to work against them, but they persevered through to the end. They promised themselves that, no matter what, they were going to the best they could to help me enjoy my birthday.

My wife had a doctor’s appointment yesterday as well. Her multiple sclerosis (MS) is advancing. She is becoming very forgetful, because of all the lesions spreading across her brain. She is, to put it bluntly, not encouraged by all this news. But she made sure that I had a good day.

My 20 year old daughter decided that yesterday, my birthday, was the day she finally desired to move out of the apartment she has had the entire month of May to vacate. Her boyfriend, that she had my grandson by, is not lifting a finger to help her.

We begged her not to align her life with his in that way, but what can be done? She is considered an adult and can make her own decisions. The rest of the family (my wife and 3 daughters still at home) were very upset. Not just because she decided to do this ON MY BIRTHDAY, but because she also refused to even tell me happy birthday.

They chose to run interference for me, and did not allow her to monopolize any of my day. My wife even went so far as to rent her a storage shed for six months so that she would have a place to store her things that she could get to whenever she wanted, as opposed to storing them in our home. But she didn’t let me move a finger of the items still left in her apartment.

My Bible study yesterday was about the fact that God doesn’t change. It referenced the two verses above, and related the fact that God can’t change. He can’t change because to change means a fundamental shift in the way something is to something it is not.

There is nothing that God is not, except evil. He is good, just; righteous, holy, pure, loving, attentive, compassionate, kind….the list goes on and on. God cannot change, because there is nothing about Him that needs to change. He is God. If He were to change, it would mean either that something in Him was incomplete, or something in Him was flawed.

He has neither of those problems.

I’m still not were I want to be spiritually, physically, financially or emotionally. You know what though? I have hope. My situation can change, because my God has sent me His promise (oath) and His word. I can see that God has never left me and has not forsaken me, and His word confirms it. He tells me that I am His child, no matter what happens, as long as I follow and believe on Him.

My body may be falling apart, but He is my rock solid standard. My life may be coming down around my ears, but He is unchanging. Though the world is on fire around me, I am not consumed.

The word the Bible uses for this character of God is IMMUTABLE. Webster’s dictionary defines this as “Not mutable; not capable or susceptible of change; unchangeable; unalterable.” It even goes so far as to cite as an example verse 18 above.

I can be changed or altered depending on my circumstances. I can be affected, if I choose to allow it, by the things that go on around me. Or I can stake my claim in the One who sent His Son to die for me, that through Him I might obtain a better promise; a better life.

God made a promise to me, and He won’t back out on His promise. Then, just to make sure that I understood where He was coming from; He took His promises and spoke them through His Word (Jesus Christ).

What promise has God made to you today? What threads are unraveling from your life that you need to look back to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith? (Heb 12:2-NKJV)

I realize this may not mean anything to you right now, but it might one day. That day may be sooner than you think. Grab hold of God’s word and study it. Get His promises in your life and into your spirit. Grow closer to Him, so that as things around you change and rearrange, you have an anchor. As the storms of life rage, you have a lighthouse beacon shining to you in the darkness.

Grab hold of a promise to change your life, from the One whose life has never changed because it doesn’t have to. Don’t give up, because you don’t have to-ever.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: