Friday, October 10, 2008

Zechariah 4:6 (NKJV)

Zechariah 4:6b (NKJV)-“’Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the LORD of hosts.’”

This verse has been running around in my head for a couple of weeks now. I don’t know why it has affected me so much. I guess it’s just that so much has gone on lately in my life and in the world around me, that it’s just easy to lose sight of what’s important.

I thought once that if I’m a child of the Most High God, He should answer my prayers; all of them. I mean, I’m deserving of it, right? I’m His kid, and He loves me and wants what is best for me, right?

I also thought that it would make trials a lot easier to go through if I had a defined start and end time to them. No matter how long it went, if I knew that it would end on THIS date I could make it okay.

Don’t laugh at me; don’t you dare. If you were honest enough with yourself, you know that you’d admit it too.

I mean, wouldn’t it be great if God would just come to you and tell you…

“Hey, Bo, I’m glad you’re here. I need to talk to you.”

Oh, hi God. Umm….I’m right in the middle of my verse posting for the week. I guess its okay though; You are the God of the Universe!

“Yeah….anyway. You’ve got some stuff coming up next week at work, and you know that the women in the house are due in the next couple of days…”

Wow. Umm….that’s kind of like not really a lot of time to prepare God.

“What do you mean?”

I mean, couldn’t you have given me some warning in advance?

“I thought I was just now.”

No, I meant like a couple of weeks ago. See, if You had told me then, I could have put it in my calendar on my handheld and in my phone. It would have given me some time to get extra Bible study in and really bulk up for this stuff.

“Really?”

Yeah, and see now, you’ve hit me with this here, and I’m trying to get the memory verse out, and I’ve got to iron Sammy’s pants…oh my gosh! We’ve got to take her to downtown Knoxville tonight for a school concert! I can’t enjoy it if I know that I’m going to be having troubles next week!

“But you’ve got Me.”

Well, yeah. But you could’ve let me know that this was going to happen, so I could have gotten a little closer. You know, study up some.

“But you’ve still got Me. You can’t do this on your own; that’s why I’m here.”

Right, I understand that. But now, I just can’t focus. I can’t even think straight knowing that You’re gonna put this on me. Hey, I got it! Why don’t you give me an extra week to prepare? I’m sure that there is another family that’s more than ready to get some trials thrown at them.

“I’m gonna pretend I didn’t even hear that.”

But God….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does it look stupid written down? It does, right? But we do it all the time. We treat God not like the Creator of the Universe who bridged the gap between us and Him. We forget that we were separated from Him because of our sins, and so He voluntarily bridged the gap that we couldn’t.

Nope, we treat Him like a servant. We treat Him like an ATM. We got our PIN number from the Bible, and we only want Him around when something is happening or when we need something. We just want to come up to the machine, stick in our card, get out what we need, and then just walk away.

We don’t seem to realize that our account is in the red. We are way, way, overdrawn.

I can’t do anything on my own. My might and my power can’t accomplish diddly-squat. Why do I continue to rely on them to get me through? Why do I continue to believe that I can dictate to God how He interacts with me?

We all know that if God told us we were going to go through something, the first thing we’d do is try to negotiate our way out of it. Next, we’d talk about this person, or that person; how THEY don’t go through near as much as we do in our life. Next, we might succumb, but we’d want to know how long it was going to go on. Why?

If you knew a trial was going to last 3 weeks, you’d whine at 2 weeks 5 days because you’d think this had gone on long enough and you didn’t need to prove yourself any longer.

It comes down to pride. We want to be able to say we did it ourselves; we pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps. We want to be able to talk about what we accomplished instead of what God accomplished through us.

We want the power and glory to be ours; we just want God to be the battery.

I hope this makes sense to you, because it does and it doesn’t to me. Does because when you see this stupid theory written down in plain words, you understand how ignorant it is. And doesn’t because no matter how dumb it looks, I know that I think this way a lot.

The way and the truth and the light and the might and the power and everything else are not mine. They are God’s. He is just using me as His symbol on Earth. I am just His expressed glory and love on this ball of dirt.

I don’t know what’ll happen today, tomorrow, or next week. But I know Someone who does. And He’ll take care of it, the same as He did yesterday, today, and forever.

He has never left me nor forsaken me; and He has never forced me to beg for His love or protection. Instead of demanding He do this, we should be thankful He has already done that.

We need to remember that it’s not us, but Him.

Thanks to all of you who talk to me and are honest about what’s going on in your lives. It helps me to be more open and honest with you. We are all going through things. It may not be the same as everyone else’s, but the answer to it all is.

He said it’s “by My Spirit.” The tests may be different, but the answer key is all the same. You don’t have to guess. You just have to believe that He is who He says and that He loves you with an unsurpassed love.

Be blessed in the Lord today,

Bo J.

No comments: