Friday, December 04, 2009

Wandering hearts.....

Jeremiah 17:9-10(NKJV)-"The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can know it?" 

I have tossed and turned most of the night with this burning in my mind. I don't know how to approach it other than head on. Here we have yet another celebrity, sensationalized in the media, who has allegedly committed infidelity and cheated on their spouse.

I had a friend ask me yesterday what it is about this that has struck me so; he wondered if I had admired this person or idolized him. I told him this truth: it bothered me because marriage is a sacred bond. Period. And it showed me, yet again, how a person can have seemingly everything, and STILL not be satisfied. It showed me how a person can have the "perfect" life and anything they want, and still look longingly at the grass in the next field, thinking of how much greener it is.

Some people will polarize this along gender lines. To me, it doesn't matter. It happens too much and too often. And the sad part about it is, this is a celebrity couple. How about those of us who aren't in front of the camera or on the news all the time? How about the people we go to work with? How many of them are wrestling with the thoughts and desires of their heart? How many of them know why we have the convictions that we do?

What happened here? You can say what you want; you can offer up any type of excuse that seems to fit. But to me, it's summed up in this question: Where did they place God? Is God at the first, ahead of everything else? Or is He relegated to a back seat? Or worse yet, do you not even know Him?

There will be jokes and tell-all's and quips and quotes and all kinds of media-bashing. But is anyone reaching out and telling them, or other couples, that there is a way out of this? Is anyone telling people that God can redeem their marriage, if only they will turn it over to Him? Or is everyone salivating over the next juicy details of what happens and what comes out? Do you try and help your co-workers or friends who are having problems, or do you simply use it as water-cooler gossip?

Where is the answer? Let's go back a bit from the verse I gave you above.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NKJV)-"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and whose hope is the LORD. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit."

God CAN and WILL bless the person who trusts in Him. It does NOT mean that you won't go through things; but you can have a hope. The Holy Spirit resides to let us know about the hole in our heart that is God-shaped. Jesus came to fill that hole and redeem us back to the Father, to be in right relationship with Him. And God just loves us too much to leave us where we are right now.

So, where do you we go from here? The choice is still up to you. The celebrity couple is not in my circle of influence, but you are. How can I help you to know that God is desperately seeking to bring you back to Him? How can I help you to realize that He has NOT left you alone in this, your deepest hour of need?

Be blessed in the Lord today.

No comments: