Friday, January 08, 2010

Am I a good search engine?

Alright, here we go. I've had breakfast; and pressed me some coffee. The girls are gone, and the wife is still in bed. I'm gonna have my quiet time.

*shuffling papers* Got my notes......*arranging laptop and Crackberry*....Cool.

Pray before I start transcribing notes.......

Now then...*sounds of typing*........what the heck is wrong with this laptop bottom? Why won't it sit flat? What is the deal here?

Oh well, I'm doing my Bible study.....it's not really that noticeable. I'll just continue on.

*typing*......man, this is really irking me. You know, it's liike there is something caught on the bottom of one of the feet.....

Okay, this is stupid. It's not that big of a deal. Stop worrying about the bottom of my laptop and get back to the sermon notes. Okay.....*typing slowly dying off*.....okay, is there something on the bottom of this in one of the feet or a wire or something.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That looks pretty dumb, huh? Some of you are sitting there thinking, "Okay, Bo has gone off the deep end. He has truly lost it." Some of my techno-geek-perfectionist friends, however, understand EXACTLY how hard it is sometime to focus on pressing in toward God. We want everything to be....just....so....

I would like to ask you this-have you ever read God's Word? Do you realize some of the kinds of people God choose to be His mouthpieces? Have you read the exploits of some of the people God used in the Bible?

Wow.

We say we want to grow closer to God, and yet.....sometimes we just don't quite get it. Once again, I can't tell you what that looks like in your life; but I can tell you how it looks in mine. This morning, the introductory paragraph, that was my #epicfail moment. (Yeah, I used a hash tag on that. I #twitter...a lot. Too much it seems!) That was how my morning started when I began my God-time.

How do I get my quiet time? What do I do to keep from being distracted? In my life, I press in. I keep going. I don't stop. I do whatever I can to control the external disturbances, and then I just keep going.

Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV)-" And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." 

That is how I get my quiet time. I keep going. I seek Him, just like I seek on the 'net when I'm looking for a new blackberry application or searching for something to fix what's going wrong on one of my computers. I seek Him just like I do anything else that means something to me. And I don't let the distractions stop me.

It used to be that, if I got distracted enough, I would just quit. I would think that was for the best, because I wasn't really into it. If I was distracted, then I wasn't giving God my all. And since He wanted my all, I needed to wait until I was properly motivated to commune with Him.

Yeah, it sounded a lot better than it looked written down.

So now, what do I do? I understand my personality more. I also understand that I am married, with 3 daughters still under my roof and all the trappings that come with it. So I am not always going to be COMPLETELY without distractions. But I can minimize them enough. I have earplugs for when I'm not the only one in the house. I have a way of setting up my desk that alerts my family that I am about to begin my Bible study so I will be unavailable for a bit. But most of all; I persevere.

If someone asks me a question-I answer it. Then, I go back to my studies.

If I remember something I'm supposed to write in my calendar, I write it on a scrap piece of paper I have at my desk so I don't have to dwell on remembering it until I'm done. And then, I go back to my studies.

If I need a drink, or a break, I take one. And then, I go back to my studies.

I let my time with God go until I know that I know that I know that He has shown me something that He wants me to carry with me throughout my day. That time may vary from day to day, and I'm okay with it. The important thing is to keep pressing in until I reach that point of knowing.

Everyone knows about the internet search engine Google. It's become so common in our language. We normally call looking something up "Googling it" even if we're using another search engine. There is even a search page named "lmgtfy.com" which stands for "let me Google that for you". It's for those times when someone asks you a question they could have Googled themselves, but they're just too lazy. So you can Google it for them, and send them the results. Neat huh?

As Christians, we should also be a search engine. We should be the one that points people we come into contact with toward Jesus Christ. All input into our search box should direct an answer toward the Godhead.

Oh, and it shouldn't matter about the initial query's language (Missionaries!!). We should be able to handle all kinds of questions. And if we don't know the answer, we can meta-link to others in our sphere of influence to help us, because it's not about us, it's about Jesus.

And the best of all? There will never be a server overload or a network error or other troubles because our computer system is backed up and He saves continually. So what are you waiting for?

Join me. There is a big world out there looking for answers.

Here, let me show God to you........

Be blessed in the Lord today.

No comments: