Saturday, January 16, 2010

Driving in the fog

My wife and I just recently moved back here to the Pacific Northwest from Knoxville, TN. (Go Vols!!) The longer we were there, the more we realized that, while it was the place we called "home", it wasn't the place that felt like it.

I worked with the youth there, a very scarring experience which I hope never to repeat....NOT. I loved my young men, and they taught me something every time we got together. I started sensing a great movement in the youth here in the NW. In articles I read, or during my prayer time, I felt that there was a great undercurrent of movement of the Holy Spirit in the youth of this area.

And I felt I was being groomed to be a part of it.Yeah, surprise to you; imagine MY surprise!

Not to make this longer than necessary, that's most of the reason I'm here. So, now I'm just waiting and wondering when God is going to open this magical door and everything that I put my wife and daughters through to move us out here comes to fruition. My wife has already found a service niche right here in the city we live. She is absolutely loving it and growing daily. She has been blessed by this move more than any of us.

My daughters are learning and growing faster than before. They resented being brought out here at first; and it lasted until school started (about a week). Now, they are so immersed in being here it's intolerable!

And I'm still waiting on my door to open.

So, I go to work, and I come home, and I go to work, and I come home. We are also searching for a church to join with; one that makes the right connection with our family. We have friends and friends who are so close out here they are family, and God is truly blessing us.

And I'm still waiting on my door to open.

So last night, I was very excited to get the opportunity to go out with one of the young men I've been blessed to have as a friend. We've known his family since we lived here before, and he has grown into a fine young man. He has been very busy with school and work, and realized that he had let his social life slide past, so he reached out to me to begin reconnecting.

He is studying to become a meteorologist....I think. I don't know if there is a more technical term or whatever. I'm sure if there is, he will correct me post haste. Anyway, he is taking a lot of weather and atmospheric related courses, sciences, and mathematics. (My kind of subjects....minus the weather and atmospheric stuff!) And when we get together he loves to regale me with facts about weather phenomena that I honestly don't know about, but if it's important to him, it's important to me.

The weather last night was rainy, and he offered to drive us to our meal. On our way back home, we were remarking about the rain, and the weather and he said something which really struck me and I thought about it all night. He said he wished it was really foggy right now. I asked him why, and he said,

"I love driving in the fog. You never know what's coming up."

Now, the modest, educated, grown-up adult in most of us immediately begins thinking this way about that statement. We start imagining all of the animals that wander into the road when the fog is really pea-soup thick. Or we get upset because we can't speed to the job we continually moan about hating. Or how people ride your bumper because they just naturally daisy chain like that in inclement weather.

He was genuinely excited about it.

Psalm 119:105 (NKJV)-"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

He was right. Driving in the fog is cool. We've just forgotten, in our wise old ways, how much fun it is. We've forgotten that we are supposed to be in a sort of fog.

Why? you may say. Well, for one, we aren't God, and we're not privy to everything in the Universe like Him. He knows all, from start to finish. He puts you places and introduces you to people for His glory, not your own.

Oh, we can get wisdom from God if we ask. But we don't need to see that WHOLE thing. Like the shepherd of old, who only had a lamp on his feet. The light would only illuminate one step ahead of him at a time. And that's all he needed.

For another, if God revealed the entire plan to you, you would see all the twists and turns it would take. And, as we are all wont to do, we would try and circumvent all the valleys and low points. We'd just plot a course straight from A to Z and bypass as much of the bad stuff as possible. But it's in the storms and bad weather that we seem to learn the most.

All of a sudden, I'm not waiting on a door to open. I'm driving in the fog. My lights work, and my vehicle is tuned up. As long as I stay in His Word, and commune with Him, I don't have to worry about the fog. I can't overdrive my lights. I need to drive as safely and as comfortably as possible, to see where to steer next.

The curves are there, as are the low points. I don't have to be scared of going through them, because I know that I know that I know that I'm protected. And when I come out the other side, I'll be able to see what kind of valley God guided me through, and I'll smile.

Don't be afraid of the fog; revel in it. It's a reminder to us that God is our guide; we're not responsible for lighting our own path. Take your time in it and get there safely.

I'm not standing in front a shut door waiting anymore. I'm driving in the fog to the next destination in my Christian walk. And I'm okay with that now.

Wanna ride?

Be blessed in the Lord today.

No comments: